Luvachicken Posted October 31, 2011 Share Posted October 31, 2011 When I was at the farm getting straw for my rabbits, I asked for some Aubiose too. Mine had lasted for the last 2 years and a bit ( since I got my previous girls ) but now it has run out. They didn't have any so I had to buy wood chip instead for them to lay their eggs on. Is this alright ? Not too dusty ? The man at the farm said it was fine and thats what he used for his chickens and he used it for their litter tray too, but I've only ever had Aubiose Did I buy the right stuff ? He said I was too soft on my chickens Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted October 31, 2011 Share Posted October 31, 2011 Shavings are fine, I use those for most of my lot They arent as absorbant as Aubiose but still do the job nicely Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted October 31, 2011 Author Share Posted October 31, 2011 Thanks Redwing, I'm glad I didn't waste my money. I might even use it in their poo trays over the winter Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chortle Chook Posted October 31, 2011 Share Posted October 31, 2011 You can get aubiose on Omlet now and I've just seen that they do a sample bag of 500g for just £1 - or are my eyes deceiving me? Seems an amazing bargain if I am seeing right. Wood shavings from the places round here are packed loosely into rather small bags for hammies, and so, though they seem cheaper on the face of it, they aren't in reality - I think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sparkysmum Posted October 31, 2011 Share Posted October 31, 2011 I used hemcore really liked it but some months ago a bale that I purchased was mouldy & nasty. At the same time my lovely neighbour who has a carpentry business left a sack of shavings "just in case I was interested" Well my ladies are now in total luxury Sure the shavings aren't as absorbent as the hemcore but the run is changed every single week & the eglus are gorgeous. They even dust bath in it. No auboise or hemcore here just nice, clean, fresh hens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chookingham Posted November 3, 2011 Share Posted November 3, 2011 I used to use Aubiose, but it was always very dusty. I now use snoflake wood shavings which never seems dusty. A bale seems to last a lot longer than the aubiose, and the chooks don't seem to mind either way. The cost for a big bale is about the same too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...