patsylabrador

Thanksgiving

Yes, it's always the fourth Thursday in November! We have to go to both my in-laws' and my parents' houses! Fortunately, they don't live too far apart, but it still makes for a long, tiring day! I plan to cook a pecan pie since I have a bunch of pecans in the freezer that need to be used. I might make a side dish as well, but I need to make up my mind before I go to the grocery store for the corn syrup and butter for the pie!

My in-laws always do things a bit excessively, especially on Thanksgiving, supposedly because my FIL's original American ancestor came over on the Mayflower. He was a Dutch indentured servant! There's almost more food than the serving tables will hold! I hope they scale things back this year since they don't have as much money as they used to. My mother-in-law usually makes a traditional Pensacola salad called gaspachee. It's kind of like the ingredients for gaspacho soup with soaked hardtack mixed in. My mother resents that we always tend to go there first but I try to make it up to them by going to their place first for Christmas.

Thank you!

We'll be hanging out with friends with lots of food and drink.

Things on the menu include the usual ridiculous sized turkey, ham, roast potatoes, mash potatoes, a couple of types of stuffing, squash, veggies galore, at least two or three desserts.

It's a lovely holiday really - its all the good food of an english christmas but without all the stress of buying gifts. It's really just about the people and the food and who couldn't love a holiday like that!

And, of course - the girls will be getting their own little thanksgiving dinner of leftovers. I just wish more of them were laying as my current 1 egg/day isn't covering the eggs I need for the day and I had to :roll: buy some eggs....

Our American boarding pupils are having a thanksgiving meal on Friday night. I have been looking out things to make the dining room look nice for them with a red, white and blue theme. White tablecloths, red slip cloths, red candles and blue napkins. Lots of american flags and red, white and blue garlands.

they will be eating roast Turkey, Coca Cola cake and ice cream, washed down with Coke.

I will be spending Thanksgiving with friends. My daughter is a 17 hour car drive from me, so that is out. I am making cranberry sauce, corn pudding, home made rolls, pumpkin pie and scallop oysters to take. We will also be having turkey, sweet potatoes, glazed carrots, corn bread dressing and mashed potatoes. There will be 16 of us for dinner. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

I remember going to a Thanksgiving dinner hosted by friends working at the US Embassy at the time. One of the dishes was unusual... sweet potatoes with marshmallows :? far too sweet for me. Is that a common dish over there or just peculiar to those people?

That is a farily common dish, my mother loved it that way (she had a sweet tooth ;>) ) but my daughter and I think it is too sweet also.