Calamity Jane

Advice needed on letting Chickens out 1st time

Hello, I have 5 new ladies that have been couped up in their run now for 10 days. I was told to not let them out for a couple of weeks so that they get used to their surroundings. However, as they are in a cube with an extension (2m?) this really is not adequate roaming space. I feel really sorry for them and I am contemplating letting them out for a wander today. I am really nervous as I have no idea what they will do. They were used to free ranging with their previous owner, but I am worried they will just rush out and go in all directions never to be seen again. What do you think will happen??

Hi, i think they should be fine(easy for me to say!). Try letting them out late afternoon so they wont want to wander too far away as they will be thinking about roosting. Is your garden enclosed? Have they had their wings clipped? It might be an idea to do this before you let them out as at least then they wont be roosting in any trees!! Stand by with some corn or treats to encourage them back to the eglu and i think it will be fine. Good luck. :)

I dont think their wings are clipped. Perhaps I should do this first, or at least check. I will have to do it when they have gone to bed tonight. My garden is enclosed but I am sure they could fly up onto the fences if they really wanted ! I have had my 3 Sussex ladies since they were very young so it was different when I first let them out.

Good trick about waiting till later in day though. Thankyou. jane.

If you let them out about an hour before bedtime, they will not go very far anyway and then pootle back to bed.

I find that they go a bit further each time you let them out. Make sure you regularly go out and shake a bowl of corn and call to them and then sprinkle some for you. They very quickly catch on to 'corn time' and will come running at the sound/sight of the bowl! I just call and shake the bowl then throw a handful into their run and they all dive in after it. 8)

My girls were good as gold on their first outing, came running back for their meal worms no problem.

Second time it was all just too exciting and the meal worms didn't do the trick.

It depends entirely on their mood. We have had some fun rounding them up, they can't half move when they have a mind to.

Usually if you can get one back in the others do tend to follow, and if one gets stuck outside with the others shut up and they cant get in panic ensues.

I would agree that the best suggestion is to let them out shortly before bed time.

Because we are at work all day, they only get out when we are around, so we tend to vary times, if we get a bit of a routine going then they make a huge racket demanding to get out. They go in the paddock at a similar time every day and they let you know when they are ready. We avoid routines on the whole garden playtime.

Sue

Well I did it !!! I left it till late and only let them out for about 10mins, but it wasnt too bad. 2 of them didnt really venture very far, but the other 3 didnt really seem interested in the treats ! :shock: I just shooed them nearer the run and when the other 2 went in they followed.

I wish I had someone nearby who kept chickens - but I didnt feel too alone, because of you guys. Thanks, jane