Adelochick

Feeding pellets to my pekins

Hi there, I'm just after a bit of advice really.

I've got nine pekin pullets so far, five are approx 21 weeks old, four about 17 weeks old today and live separately at present (although my plan is to put them all together in a larger WIR eventually, so I can get some more!). I am feeding them on growers pellets mainly with some greens when available, with a treat feed in the afternoon of mixed seeds/'woodland crumble'/mealworms.

As I was advised that they wouldn't start laying until probably next March, do I continue with the growers pellets well into February, or not? I'd really appreciate your expertise as I'm just new to this and don't want to do the wrong thing for my lovely flock.

Many thanks, :roll:

I'd stick with the growers too, they will be fine on that until they actually start to lay and it will do them good as they are maturing at the coldest time of the year

When they start to lay dont panic and think you have to switch to layers pellets immediately, they will be ok while you finish the bag off, they wont self destruct :lol:

Nearly all of mine are on growers pellets all winter whether they are laying or not.

Many thanks for your advice ladies.

I'll continue with growers pellets for my girls until whenever next year.

My pekins colours are cuckoo, black, buff, salmon wheaten, lemony, and then silver wheaten, gold partridge, black frizzle, and a columbian, as told me by their breeders.

I'm just thrilled to have them even though they take up quite a bit of time, and a lot of expense (my choice as I did want to buy the omlet WIR, after buying an eglu go with 2m run and an eco hen loft from solway recycling)!

They bring me much joy and I don't begrudge them the cost really. :wink: