OllieNLucys Mum

Anyone heard of a cat being allergic to chickens?

Last August one of the many cats that take up residence with us was rehomed to a friend of a friend :)

All was well initially but her new owner has recently been in touch as the cat is suffering severe allergy problems. They are at the point they think it may be the chickens and may have to rehome the poor cat . Again :-( Its such a shame as its a lovely home which it took me ages to find for her.

Thinking back by the time the cat was living with us our chickens were behind electric netting so the cats patrolled the perimeter staring in but didn't have direct contact.

Has anyone ever had a cat allergic to their chickens and if so did you find a workable solution? Also is there a specific test that can be done to establish if she is in fact allergic to the chickens.

Edited by Guest

I've never heard of this but I guess it's possible - I think when people are allergic to animals it's usually to their dander/skin flakes (I might be wrong, but sure I heard that somewhere....maybe it's the same for cats) ...and judging from the amount of shed white flakes in our poo tray, chickens maybe produce quite a lot?

I'm sceptical to be honest - how much contact would the cat have with the chickens? unless it's sleeping in the Eglu (and I have seen photos of that!) it seems unlikely to me. My cats have no physical contact with the hens at all.

Have they had veterinary advice? My guess is that a flea allergy is more likely.