vickyh

Very silly question from new cube owner

I have limited experience of breeds as my girls (which are orpingtons) are my first pair that I've owned directly. But I can vouch for the fact that they are a. Big and b. docile :D Also cuddly! Constance was sat on my lap today trying to preen me, i think! :shock: When I was trying to decide on breed, I read something that described them as 'the hippies of the chicken world' and that we me sold :D

Hi, Obviously you have the gingernuts & black hens from Omlet which I find "average" temprement- by that I mean not too flighty or aggressive but still with some character. I have a Bluebelle who is stunning to look at ( in a Catherine Zeta Jones sort of way - dark & exotic)with lavender grey colouring but she is the most strong minded hen I have ever met- not only is she in charge of my other hens but she thinks she is in charge of me as well! Although we don't have favourites :liar: I have a hen called a "Sweetie" from Merrydale Poultry ( in Whetstone, Leics, linked to Regency Poultry) - she is mainly cream, with a few brown flecks & she is just such a sweetie! She's calm & laid back- the first to welcome me and actually affectionate! She's the first hen I've had that pesters me for a cuddle! (Although the treats I usually have may have something to do with it!) I also have a "Speckledy" , grey & white flecks with very soft feathers, who is also lovely natured & affectionate.

Hello All

I thought I would post an update! Well, I've got chooks! First I was given 2 x light Sussex (Adele and Jessie J) and then I added 2 x Cornish Hybrids (Lady Gaga and Rihanna). There was a little bit of squabbing when I introduced the new girls but they seem okay now. I'm getting between 3 and 4 eggs a day and we all absolutely love them. My little girl comes home from school and goes straight into the run for an hour! I've found keeping the food and water clean a problem so today we mounted hanging basket hangers around the place and hung them up, and with the 'grubs' we wired them onto the mesh of the WIR. One thing - as it ended up being a rush when the first ones moved in, I ended up with wood bark afterall. I made it about 4 inches deep and just rake it over, I haven't actually cleaned it out yet and I've had the chooks for about 3 weeks. Do you think its ok? The man in our local small holding place said that it would act like a soakaway, I hope that's true? Also, today I noticed there are lots of little tiny white flys in there - what are they and are they dangerous?

I would love to upload some photos if only I knew how to!

Best wishes to all.

Vicky