vickyh

Very silly question from new cube owner

Hello

I'm sorry to ask such a silly question, but well, here it comes.....

What do you put inside your cube for your chickens to sit on?

I bought my cube 2nd hand, we've now assembled it (it's huge) but do the chickens just sit on the hard plastic slats?

Presumably you put something soft and comfy in the nesting bit? For some reason I thought the nesting bit would be compartmentalised in someway, but its just a long deep trough - am I missing something? The set up came with a huge walk in run, which is being assembled today - hopefully! I'm planning to put bark chipping inside the run.

Also is there a correct word - hens or chickens?

Many thanks for your patience and advice!

Vicky

ps I've cleaned and disinfectanted everything!

Hi Vicky, there are no silly questions when it comes to keeping hens I think :lol:

Yes the girls just sit on the roosting bars and they will be fine on them. You will probably want to line the trays underneath with something to catch the poo from overnight. I usually put a few sheets of newspaper in mine, which I then change every day. There should be a plastic piece with a hole in the middle that separates the roosting area from the nest, although I took mine out as I like to be able to take the roosting bars out through the egg port door to clean them, so it's easier for me to leave it out.

It should look like this

Photo-0001-1.jpg

As Mercedes 55 said line the trays with newspaper and remove regularly - makes it so much easier to clean. The nest box I line with newspaper and put a nice thick layer of hemcore on top of the newspaper ( also makes it easier for cleaning out - carefully lift the newspaper with the hemcore on top). I also add a sprinkle of anti mite powder to the hemcore, keeps it smelling nice and the hens get a dose of anti mite powder whenever they lay an egg. Saves dusting the hens!

They will be fine on the plastic slats.

As mentioned above it's a good idea to put something on the poo trays below the roosting bars, newspaper or a thin layer of woodshavings/horse bedding, this makes the trays easier to clean.

The nesting box is one long trough separated by a divider from the main roosting area but not split in to separate nests. This has a slot in the bottom so cover this with something - flexible chopping boards, plastic strips, bits of car matting, cardboard and newspaper are all popular choices then fill the trough with bedding of some sort for them to lay eggs on, woodshavings/horse bedding and shredded paper would all be ok

Woodshavings can be obtained in small bales from pet shops and that and various types of horse bedding can be obtained from agricultural merchants or tack shops in big bales

Bark chippings are not a very good surface for the run as they contain spores, also they get slippery and horrid quickly. Woodchippings are ideal though. If the run has a roof and sheltered sides a horse bedding like Aubiose can be used

Hello, welcome to the forum, and congratulations on your new Cube an run.

Your chickens should perch very happily on the slats.

You should put soft bedding in the nest box. I find the absence of divisors in the nestbox makes it easier for hens, as they just squeeze in however many that need to use the nestbox.

Bark chips are ok if you already have it, but there is a small risk of fungal spores so in the long run I would recommend woodchip or (if you run is covered) horse bedding. There are plenty of threads on the forum about the pros and cons of different types of bedding.

Is it "hens" or "chickens"? I use both - even though all my chickens are hens. . .

Another vote for horse bedding, I always sprinkle some in the poo tray to stop it sticking. I don't use newspaper because I find it gets soggy/smelly quite quickly, but some people swear by it.

Hens/Chickens - well, they both mean the same thing, but personally 'hens' are the delightful creatures that enhance my garden, 'chicken' is the delicious item that is sometimes eaten! :lol:

Welcome to the forum, and please be assured that there's no such thing as a silly question on here.

my Chooks are chooks when talked about en mass, or hens and cockerals when talking individually...no idea why.

I use wood shavings sprinkled in the tray and about 2 inches in the nest box. I have an (cube orange) and a (red eglu) and have covered both runs with plastic sheeting held down with bungy cords...other people use shower curtains, heavy tarpaulin and all sorts of other stuff.

We are all still learning and there are NO silly questions..just stuff you don't know or aren't sure of and others who can enlighten you...ask away....I do! :dance:

Welcome to the forum. :)

I agree with all said above. I prefer the newspaper method for the trays, because I find it quite easy to roll up with the poo & then pop into the compost bin.

I hope you enjoy your new hobby. And certainly no questions are stupid - I asked allsorts in the begining - and there was always someone to answer and oftentimes a quick reply too. Lovely people here :D

Enjoy your chooks :dance:

I use Aubiose horse bedding in the nest box, poo trays, and on the floor of my WIR (the WIR has a closed roof so it keeps reasonably dry)

I don't use newspaper underneath the Aubiose. I did for a long time, but I found it got very damp/soggy very quickly, so the trays needed wiping anyway. I find it much better now to just use a thin layer of aubiose to line the trays now. (If you make it too deep, the poo ends up getting lodged between the roosting bars instead of dropping underneath). But that's just what works for me.

Hope that helps

I use straw in the nesting box and that's all. Oddly enough, when they were in the eglu my two new girls used to hoik the straw out of the nesting box but now they've joined Polly in the cube they leave the straw alone. I know when the weather's turning cold overnight because all three will crowd in to the nesting box nstead of sleeping on the roosting bars.

As for what I call them, it's usually chook(ers)s, hens or girls - be prepared for eyes to glaze over when you start a conversation with something like "This morning my girls said"... Odd how people accept that parrots can talk but not chookers...

Hi Vickyh! :)

My collection of rescue/rehomed chickens have two Cubes. They "told" me they preferred sleeping in the nest box, because presumably they could lie down, as the nest box was four inches deep in Aubiose. They do all lie down in the walk in run and snooze in the Aubiose which is on the run floor during the day. So I removed the roosting bars in the Cubes and filled the poo trays three inches deep with Aubiose and they lie down wherever they like. I do clean them out each morning at 6.00, so the Cubes are clean for egg laying time. After all, they can do what they like, I am just the room service ... :boohoo:

Whilst I do not yet have my cube or hens, I have found this a wonderful insight and it is great to see so much information available. I am so glad there are no silly questions as I am sure that I will be asking some when I finally get my cube and hens.

Good luck Vicky with them, I look forward to hearing more about how they and you are getting on!

Nic

Thanks Vicky for asking these questions as I have been having the same dilemmas as you. I bought my cube last year and picked up my ex-batts on Sunday. I have lined my poop trays with newspaper as I thought it would be easier to clean but I may switch to wood shavings, I suppose only time will tell and its all trial and error. I wonder if you could use wood-based cat litter? I have used shredded paper in the nest box and it never even crossed my mind to line it with newspaper first but I will be trying it at the weekend after I give it a good clean. Can you use Jeyes Fluid to clean the cube or is it too strong/poisonous for hens?

My girls have been going through crushed oyster shell like something possessed! Is this normal? I have bought some new glug/grubs as I bought some cheap ones from Wilkos but these get knocked over continuously and it’s driving me crazy having to pick them up all the time (messy little girls).

I have also been wondering what you wash them in if you bath them! Shampoo and if so, what type?

I bought some play grade wood chips from my local council (Leeds), cost £4.00 per bag and they even delivered them free as I live in the Leeds area. Good thing to try your local council as I searched all over to buy them before finding them there.

Thanks for all the advice everyone. No doubt I will have more questions soon.

Gillian x

Another Aubiose in the poop trays without newspaper here :wink: Everything just slides out of the trays very easily. I also found that newspaper got too damp and soggy, which I didn't think was too good for the girls :? I put Aubiose in the nest area as well. I've got hardwood wood chips from Flyte so Fancy on the floor of my WIR and lots of leaves :) The clear tarpaulins on the roof and sides of the WIR keep things nice and dry and the girls are very happy :)

I am experimenting this week!

Nothing in the cube poop tray at all. But I have moved the compost bin next to the cube and have simply been sliding the trays out in the morning and tipping them in.

Going well so far, as long as I remember my gloves :D

Have previously lined with paper with auboise on top, then ditched the paper and just used auboise.

Hi,

It's all good advice & you will eventually find out what works best for you. One thing I did read was that Jeyes Fluid isn't great for hens- can't recommend Poultry Shield highly enough. As well as cleaning & disinfecting , it also leaves a "residue" that keeps on working. Others things that work for me are Total Mite Kill spray (for cube), Aubiose (Horse) bedding & Apple Cider Vinegar (small amounts) in the drinking water.

Good Luck!

Hi there, I found newspaper in the nesting box in my cube, covered in shreded paper great until they started eating it. :roll: I then decided to cover the hole in the nest box with newspaper with pet grade shavings ontop, this worked great until they started ripping the paper up and shavings were everywhere :wall: . Now i parcel tape vent in N/B, and use shavings 2/3 inch deep. In the trays i use newspaper, yes it can get damp, i tend to change every 2/3 days. If its v.cold i will put a layer of shavings ontop. Once a week all is taken apart and washed. Or wiped if hose is off like today.

Hello Everyone

I don't know what I did wrong, but I thought I posted a reply and a thank you to everyone but I cann't see it anywhere! Oh well, I'm a bit of novice (or newly laid egg!). Anyway, the walk in run is now assembled on paving slabs round the edges and the next job is to get the stuff to put on the ground. Another question, should the run be completely covered? It was only supplied with 3 clear plastic sheets, but I think there should be more. What do you think?

Thanks

Vicky

Hello

What do you put inside your cube for your chickens to sit on?

Probably "Ooops, word censored!"ody else has done this but here goes...............................

My hens hated the plastic roosting bars, They got very dirty in a day and the hens feet were soiledd and smelly so I threw out the plastic and hubby made me some more natural wooden perches that sit up three or four inches off the floor.

The trays are lined with newspaper and this is tossed out every morning when I let them out. The nest box has straw which is changed at the same time as there will always be one or two ( all of them last winter when it was -15˚C) that sleep there.

Takes two minutes and is no bother.

hello again!

Well, its hotting up here! I've covered the WIR completely with plastic sheets, although rain could still get in at the sides. So all I've got to do now is get the floor covering, feed and some hens! I'm hoping to get biggish docile ones - any recommendations?

Also, how often do you clean out the run? Do you do a complete change of material every so often?

Thanks

Vicky