ilovechickens

Hobby into work?

My talent has always been making children feel safe , happy and enjoying themselves.....

I gave up a computer career in London, worked in a nursery and now run a successful childminding business with 22 children on the books at present and I love nearly every minute

so I hope that counts as a talent ...I can also make some cool play dough figures ... :D

On the verge of it, looking at taking love of food, local produce, anti supermarket and what they have done to the farmers, and a bit of giving back to the community into a new business.

On that note, there was an item on our local radio a couple of days ago (I'll try and find an Iplayer link, but please be patient, I have a loooooong day at Uni today :oops: ) something about someone who had opened a business where they sold local produce but also had a cafe for homebaked goods/tea/coffee which had become a regular meeting place for the local community and it had turned into a thriving business. Think they were based in a village style set-up?

I was driving at the time and my mind was full of Equal Opportunities and Diversity Management for an assessment, so the details may be a bit wobbly; but as soon as I get a chance I'll try and find that radio item: interesting stuff :wink:

I used to make cakes - I started with novelty Birthday cakes but moved on to Wedding cakes when all the supermarkets started to supply novelty cakes. I only used ingredients I would eat myself so they were made from organic ingredients and natural colourings where possible. Wedding cakes proved lucrative but the stress of having to have everything finished and perfect on the day and worrying about poisoning people is quite hard so I moved on .......

More recently I have started building up a small business making items from hand-made felt. I'm not overly ambitious so I'm quite happy for it to be a slow process. I'm looking to use more of our own sheep fleece rather than bought in fleece. I'm much happier making something in my own time and without the deadline that Wedding cakes had.

I make and sell preserves but apart from that I wouldn't work with food as a business again.

I used to work in property and always did papercraft as a hobby. I managed to get a job doing that for my current company... I manage all the creative content on our website, manage freelance designers and write and edit a magazine... Plus get paid to craft!

Wow!!! That is just fab! :dance:

Have you checked out Country Living this month, they were selling a guide to turning your talents into a business? They may have details on their website. I dream of leaving teaching to start a crafty business but I'm not sure that I could make that much to sell or whether I'd enjoy the pressure of having to craft to sell.