Jenny Smedley Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 Hi , I will put this on the Chickens forum as well as Nesting Box . Has anyone lost a cockerel or hen in the Leamington Spa / Harbury area of Warwickshire? My son's friend was at Mr Karting, Harbury Lane, Harbury, near Leamington Spa , Warwickshire (01926 833444) today and said there is a large brown hen wandering around the race track.He described it as brown, tall, with a big tail , very muddy & tame- he texted me a blurred photo on his mobile & It looks like a cockerel to me. (I think) Staff confirmed that it had been hanging around all day but there is nowhere close by that it could have come from. I am disabled & unable to get there to pick it up so I rang a few places : Police were aware of it (obviously others had rung) but don't deal with stray poultry. RSPB work 9-5, mon to Fri so it was only an ansamachine. RSPCA ( 03300 123499) would only attend if I could confirm that it was still there & contained - I tried telephoning Mr Karting, but no one answered ( probably closed for day ) so RSPCA would not attend. If anyone has lost him - he is there ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 Know nothing and nowhere near either; but, how sad for the poor thing! If I were nearer, I'd home him until his owners were found Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 I'm stuck in bed after having op to have two pacemakers fitted to my spine & the rest of my family not back till later tonight. Have tried a couple of friends but no one is answering their phones. I just hope that he finds somewhere to tuck himself away tonight as it is fairly rural there so there will be foxes around & it will be cold- we were minus 10 last night. It's stupid , I know, as he's not mine & I haven't even seen him , but I know I shall worry all night. I will ring Mr Karting again in the morning to see if he is still there ( fingers crossed) & ring the RSPCA again & get stroppy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Bantambabe Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 Hi Jenny, There's a MASSIVE chicken farm the other side of Harbury Lane from the Karting place ( a bit further along in Harbury direction - opposite the football club) You can see the big barns/warehouses from the road - and you can certainly smell them! I imagine it had watched "Chicken Run" one too many times and made a bid for freedom. Hopefully she will find somewhere safe to hide tonight Debs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 Yes , I know it - it is a battery hen farm (('ve been in it ) so I assumed that a fully grown cockerel wouldn't have come from there. Just keep fingers crossed for him tonight. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 12, 2012 Author Share Posted February 12, 2012 I didn't want to contact them in case he ended up in a chicken pie!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mum Posted February 12, 2012 Share Posted February 12, 2012 Then your real dilema is: chicken pie vs foxy supper? You've raised awareness (when you are at your lowest ebb - very commendable and get-well-soon huggles to you!) and I dont' see how much more you can do. Sleep easy; your conscience is clear! You have done the very best you can, under your circumstances, to give him the very best of chances. Now it is down to powers beyond ours Thank you, Jenny, for caring enough to post and for your faith your post would be of assistance to this lad ((hugs)) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 Just because I often read posts & wonder " What happened?" I'm posting this : I rang Mr Karting & unfortunately there is no sign of him. If you are a positive person you may hope that he has found his way home , but I must admit I'm fearing the worst - it's also a very busy road by there . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 I hope he did , or someone took him in .. I would like to think that I would have reacted the same as you ..Thank you for the post. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 13, 2012 Author Share Posted February 13, 2012 Well, he must be a lucky cockerel as I've just had a phone call from Mr Karting- he's turned up again! He's looking the worse for wear & very, very muddy apparently. I've asked them to give him some water & any food they have but they are scared to go near him as he is so big !! Big strong men !! Contacted RSPCA - it's like pullling teeth. They've agreed, eventually, to go but can't say when , so I hope he is still there when they do. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 13, 2012 Share Posted February 13, 2012 If I wasn't at work, I'd go over there with my chicken net and catch him. You'd be surprised at how many cockerels are found in battery cages when they do rescues - once found 2 on one rescue that I helped at. I wouldn't worry too much about him in the cold; 'Cock roundabout' in Bungay used to have around 30 cocks, all roosting in the trees - apparently abandoned there Good for you, I hope that you get him sorted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted February 14, 2012 Share Posted February 14, 2012 Any news? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 17, 2012 Author Share Posted February 17, 2012 This gets stranger & stranger!! RSPCA came the next day ( Mr Karting & I seem to be phone buddies now- they keep ringing me to ask if it's safe to feed him this or that !) but informed Mr Karting staff that the cockerel belongs to a person 1/2 mile away & they like to let him roam. Obviously they didn't pick him up & just left. Mr Karting sent me photos & also say that he's in an awful state - very. very muddy & covered in oil . Also ravenous. He seems to be sleeping in the doorway next to theirs. The road next to Mr Karting is a busy main road leading to the Fosse Way & he will get wiped out sooner or later , if the fox or a dog doesn't get him. Seems odd way to keep an animal. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 17, 2012 Author Share Posted February 17, 2012 Sorry - haven't a clue how the arrow got there !! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 Perhaps someone with a landing net ought to catch and take him back to where he belongs,it'd be a shame if he got splatted. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 17, 2012 Author Share Posted February 17, 2012 But he'd be back out again as that's what they do- let him wander & don't confine him. Seems odd to me. I agree though, it's only a matter of time. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...