jjmack Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 We have had a nightmare over the last 2 months with everything packing up and needing replacing / mending etc. In all I reckon its cost about £2500 which with Xmas isn't fun. i thought we had come to hte end of our bad luck when we had a note through our door from our cleaner. She had had her van broken into and all the keys to the houses she cleans for stolen, they were in a safe under the seat. I ummed and ahhed about changing the locks as none had addresses on, but for my own piece of mind i decided to go ahead and get them done. Due to my door type it cost £180. The cleaner has said that she would pay to get them changed. I am not sure if her insurance will cover this or not, so I felt that was a bit unfair as it wasn't her fault so I have suggested we go halves on it. My husband thinks I am being really mean and that we should offer to pay for all of it. But with all the other expense we have had I just think we could do without paying for the lot as it wasn't our fault either. What do the consensus think? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Tiggy Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 What a worry for you. Your cleaner must be gutted Im sure there must have been other keys in her vehicle too. It is her responsibility to keep your key safe so really she should be paying for the replacement so i think that you are being very fair by offering to pay for half of it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Couperwife Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 Her insurance should cover all of it Sending hugs to you, it sounds like you have had a pants time of it recently. Fingers crossed for a little bit of good luck coming our way. Xx Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
kinsk Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 Her insurance should cover it and if it doesn't it's because either she hasn't got adequate insurance or didn't take appropriate precautions. I know with our property lettings and maintenance work we do we are not supposed to leave keys in an unattended vehicle, whether in a locked safe of not. Neither our business insurance nor out fleet insurance will cover for that. Still, I really don't think you are being mean, I think you are being more than reasonable. I am sure your cleaner is absolutely gutted but it's your house and property that could be at risk. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Egluntyne Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 I don't think you are being mean at all. Quite the contrary! Your cleaner should have made sure that all keys were safely stored and I think you could reasonably expect for her to pay the full mount. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jjmack Posted February 17, 2012 Author Share Posted February 17, 2012 She is gutted. She is so nice and generally very reliable. I am hoping that her insurance will pay out as she must have lost about 20 keys and i am sure she can't afford to replace them all. I too hope that our bad luck has come to an end....... fingers crossed. Just have to have another glass or 2 of vino to see me through! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 17, 2012 Share Posted February 17, 2012 I don't think you are being mean at all. Quite the contrary! Your cleaner should have made sure that all keys were safely stored and I think you could reasonably expect for her to pay the full mount. I agree. I recently changed the locks on my house - well, it was sufficient to change just the one lock as that's the only way in - cost be £25 for a new lock and extra keys, plus 10 mins of my time to fit it. It's a pain to have to do it though. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jjmack Posted February 17, 2012 Author Share Posted February 17, 2012 Unfortunately due to the super duper door I had to get a man and then the whole lock system had to be changed. he has now put in one that i can do myself(without compromising security) should the need arise again. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickenanne2 Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 You like and trust your cleaner, and want to hang on to her. It was her fault, she feels terrible, you can't really afford it, and she can't really afford it...speak to her to see if her insurance would cover the cost. I can't help thinking that she can't make more than £8 or £10 an hour profit (after taking off van, fuel, insurance, time going between jobs, time doing admin & tax returns, etc) and £180 would be about 20 hrs work for her. I agree that it would likely be her responsibility as she was taking care of your keys. But given that you want to keep her as your cleaner and to keep your good relationship with her, I think you're right to either pay for the lock yourself or at most ask her to pay half. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Duncan08 Posted February 20, 2012 Share Posted February 20, 2012 I too think that paying half is a very reasonable gesture. It is her responsibility to look after the keys, but she probably wasn't aware that it would cost so much to change the locks. I think you are being very fair. Unless of course she is insured, in which case you won't need to pay anything. (worth checking with her) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...