Jenny Smedley Posted February 24, 2012 Share Posted February 24, 2012 Hi , Can I just clarify a few things? 1. I think I read somewhere ( on this forum I think but I can't find it !!) that you only need 10mls ACV per litre of water & you should only add it for one week in four- is that correct? 2. I know you can add garlic powder to their layers pellets , but how much/ what proportion & how often? 3. I have seen ACV for sale with added garlic (good idea & I will buy it like that next time!) - is it possible to add garlic powder to ACV ? How much /what proportions? How often should you give it to your hens? 4. Does the garlic smell/taste come through in the eggs? Thanks in advance , Jenny Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 24, 2012 Share Posted February 24, 2012 I just give mine garlic from crushed cloves in their water or mixed in their pellets, depending on my mood! Nothing technical here! If I fancy a giggle, it is great to watch one of my chickens trying to chase a whole clove round the water trying to catch it! No averse garlic smells in their eggs. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted February 24, 2012 Share Posted February 24, 2012 I just add ACV for the first week of the month...about a tablespoon to the glug usually...not very technical and perhaps someone will put me right... I hadn't been adding garlic but as we eat it in large quantities, and are great believers in its medicinal properties I really thought I should start treating the girls. So I read somewhere you can put a clove of garlic in the water (and it can be put back in the water for up to about five days when you change it....) however first attempt went badly today, when Lucie stuck her head in the water and fished it out and ate it Methinks I'll have to start adding it to food...so also interested in the dosing instructions!!!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Jenny Smedley Posted February 24, 2012 Author Share Posted February 24, 2012 I know u can get garlic in different forms- fresh cloves, granules, powder etc.- I focused on powder as I want to try dissolving it into my ACV - two benefits in one- but with less work. Re fresh cloves of garlic lasting up to 5 days- don't they get "slimy" or go off? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
clucker1 Posted February 25, 2012 Share Posted February 25, 2012 The best way of getting them to have fresh garlic is crushed/finely chopped, (as you would for spaghetti bolognaise etc for yourself) and mixed in with their pellets. Using the garlic I use for us, means I don't have to buy something extra for the girls too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 27, 2012 Share Posted February 27, 2012 I use the NAF/Life-Guard garlic and mint, doesn't pong so much and is very good fro their digestion. I have to say that I'm not very scientific about any additions and just add a wee bit when I remember. I tend to alternate using either ACV or Life-Guard in the water, using each probably no more than twice a week. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Monty14 Posted February 29, 2012 Share Posted February 29, 2012 I tend to add ACV about once every six weeks to the water as a gut clearer, and only add garlic in the water if they have sniffles. I've heard grapefruit extract is also good, but never used it. Don't underestimate the power of spice in their food - our chicken supplier said a small sprinkling of cayenne pepper on their food is beneficial and ours certainly love their pellets. Cheaper than poultry spice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted March 1, 2012 Share Posted March 1, 2012 cayenne is generally recommended to deepen the colour of the yolks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...