Cinnamon Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 I seem to remember seeing an article about how its really beneficial to start your onion sets off in cell trays,then plant them out once they have sprouted. So,I have just got mine all planted up in 2 trays,but am pondering where to put them.......an unheated Greenhouse,an indoor windowsill or my south facing glass porch where I start off all my seeds????? And do the cell trays need their propagation lid put on or not too? They are Red Barons. Has anyone else tried this method & if so,what would you suggest. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
NannyOgg Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 I usually put the lid on and pop them on a windowsill, and remove the lid once they're 1-2cm tall Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 26, 2012 Author Share Posted February 26, 2012 OK,thanks. Its easier to have them in the house for the moment anyhow. That said,I just ventured into the Greenhouse & it was sweltering in there! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 I normally just pop mine uncovered in the polytunnel, as I assume that's more like outside conditions. I always think the more you mollycoddle them the more hardening off they would need (not that I'm lazy or anything) . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted February 26, 2012 Share Posted February 26, 2012 I put mine in a unheated greenhouse it does have heat if there is a frost forecast but I don't start mine till March but I know some on the lottie start their's in late Jan in a heated greenhouse Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted February 27, 2012 Author Share Posted February 27, 2012 Think I will have them inside the house until mid march then,then they can go into the Greenhouse. Thanks all Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cinnamon Posted March 11, 2012 Author Share Posted March 11, 2012 A couple of weeks later............................... I am really pleased Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
LolaLayla Posted March 11, 2012 Share Posted March 11, 2012 Those look really healthy Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted March 12, 2012 Share Posted March 12, 2012 They look great I might try it will a few of mine. We did it once years ago when the ground wasn't quite ready, and they didn't do very well, but it was an odd season. We have a lot of trouble with the birds pulling out our onion sets and have to cover them while they root and shoot. Make sure that you harden them off gradually and they don't get a check from being dry of sudden changes in temperature because red onions are terrible for bolting. We usuallly grow about three times as many as we need to allow for this. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...