fluffy chick

My first hatch eek!

I'm very excited but could use some advice, I'm so worried about doing anything wrong. :anxious::anxious::anxious:

I'm hopefully getting some cochin eggs today, and keeping them pointy end down for 24hrs. I have a broody pekin who I was going to use. I was going to use an empty eglu, with roosting bars removed and (somehow) cut down some rubber to make the droppings tray less slippy under the bedding. But now I'm thinking maybe a rabbit hutch I have may be easier? It would give mum more room as I guess I'd have to keep the eglu door shut to stop the chicks falling out :think: Any advice would be great !

Also, as she is fairly small I may be better only hatching 4 out the 6 eggs ?!

Personally I'd go with the rabbit hutch, once the chicks are about 10 days old you could move them to the Eglu but if you can put some boards against the sides as chicks have got caught in the mesh before

Other people may argue that the Eglu gives them more room but Pekins are light and not clumsy mums so they should be fine in the hutch and I find too much room has a risk that the chicks wander off and get cold