I've ordered a cube with a 4m run and the plan is to extend to 5m in the autumn (once my funds are back up again after such a major spend! :) ).

I'm planning on getting light breeds - hopefully a cream legbar, white leghorn, araucana or columbine, a welsummer and a couple of hybrids. (Yep, a variety of coloured eggs is the aim).

Would 6 hens be okay in this space? I've already gathered together lots of enrichment for the run - a mirror, CD's to hang up, a parrot toy, a treat ball, a food ball for greens, a number of perches and pots to sit on and if there's room, a swing. :D

They'll also have two glub/grubs to reduce any squabbling over the food.

The hens won't be able to free range much during the day and only under close supervision at night as we're semi-urban and I've seen the foxes about and hear them too.

I know that 1m squared is recommended per hen, so should I stick to 5 chickens or would 6 be okay?

Thanks everyone. :)

:lol: Congratulations.

Personally I would stick to 5, others may have different views.

I have learned that the more space they have the better their life, less stress=better health.

My one advice would be to get all 5 at the same time and of the same age so they might mix and get on easier, though its no guarantee, just more likely.

Best wishes

Enjoy

I'd stick to 5 too. Although the breeds you've mentioned aren't massive they enjoy as much space as possible and may turn on each other if they are confined. Hybrids can be characters (read stroppy! :D ) too. Before long you'll be able to extend and your lovely cube is large enough to sleep more :whistle:

Thank you both for responding. I'm going to bring the run extension forward so I should be able to get it within the next few weeks. Would five hens be okay sharing the 4m run for a few weeks until I get the extension to bring it up to five metres?

I was planning on getting them all together at the same time, so this would then save having to go through unnecessary introductions to new chickens.

Thanks.