laurmurf

Really rubbish broody mum

we've just hatched some of OH's welsummers (*yawn* give me TNNs any day) but while the broody was fab at sitting tight on the eggs she's been rubbish since they hatched to the extent that one's died already and we're having to help out.

She still sat tight on the chicks even after hatching, which we didn't worry about initially, but 48 hours on and no signs of her moving and we got anxious about them eating and drinking. By the time we'd lifted her one wee one was fading and the others looked quite weak. We've had to lift her off them several times and dip their beaks in water and show them where food is but even this didn't stop one dying (probably of dehydration).

We've then had to move her off them again and sprinkle chick crumb all around the pen and let her settle back on the chicks over the food so that they can eat. :roll:

I've always supported hatching with broodies over incy because mum does all the hard work - well, someone call social services because she's just awful!

(oh, and to make matters worse she keeps doing broody poos just about on their heads :vom: )

It sounds like she hasn't snapped out of her zombified broody state and is still insisting on sitting. If she were mine, as long as the weather was ok (it is here but I know others have heavy rain) I'd chuck her and the chicks into a run outside. Hopefully she'll scratch around and show the chicks some tasty bugs and things. That might encourage her to play a more active role in their upbringing :lol:

that's more or less what we did, Griffin.

she just couldn't snap out of the broodiness until we shook it out of her. She's fine now and the chicks are all healthy and growing. She's still not the best but she'll do (for boring old welsummers anyway....)