jenimac

Yellow Beehaus

Have just ordered a new yellow beehaus and really excited about it. Not quite as excited about my beekeeping exam in a few weeks time!!!!!! We are queen rearing for our nucs which we are going to keep at the tutors apiary until we are deemed capable of caring for the bees ourselves.

What a great scheme. Well done!!

You'll know enough to cope by the time you install your own bees.

It's frightening the number of people who just get bees and have no support.

I have a friend with a Beehaus but she has 14x12s as well.

Let us know how you get on,especially as you are putting them in a box that's come in for a lot of stick.

Exam taken and awaiting the results next month. My tutor brought my bees from apairy where he raised a nuc for me and he helped me install them in the beehaus. He was sceptical about beehaus but is interested to see how it will do.

Pity about the weather (torrential downpours) so no bees to be seen. Fingers crossed.

Got exam results yesterday and I passed (preliminary certificate of proficiency in beekeeping).

They sent me details of next level!!!! I need to get used beekeeping first. The beehaus is doing really well and has been expanding nicely despite the dreadful weather. Fingers crossed for better weather in August.

I don't mind the beehaus - it's responsible for getting me into beekeeping, which I wouldn't have done otherwise.

Only real flaws, IMHO, are:

1 - non-standard frame size - would be much easier to get supplies if it took National frames (perhaps the mesh at the bottom should be something you could move up or down?)

2 - the entrance seems to promote bearding

Apart from that, it's fine.

I think Omlet however should make more of the fact that you really do need to join a club or society as beekeeping is not something you can easily pick up on-the-job in the same way you can with hens.