Charlottechicken

CO2 Calculator

Earlier in the week I visited the co2 calculator website, accessible through www.direct.gov.uk

I was emailed a fairly comprehensive report on how much co2 I currently produce (not me personally if you see what I mean :oops: ) and a goal to aim towards in the next six months with hints and tips on how to reach it.

I have been given a target of 4.91 tonnes of co2 to aim for, and currently use 6.14 tonnes in total (adding home, appliances and travel together).

It is really interesting to do although I think they make assumptions about how much co2 is created during the production/transportation of the food we eat and the clothes we wear (this must be included in the overall figure as an 'average' somewhere). Most of us Omleteers are now trying to grow at least some of our own food, and I personally buy about 50% of my clothing second hand.

Try the calculator and see what you think!

I have just calculated my carbon footprint and im sure its not right :?

It gives a total of over 10 tonnes :shock:

Having just revamped the house all our appliances are A+ grade, insulation is tip top, new boiler, energy efficient lightbulbs and as there are only two of us minimal clothes & dish washing, hardly ever leave appliances on standby etc & even though we have two cars we only use one at a time as we share one to go to work in. We recycle almost everything and yet our carbon footprint is over 10 tonnes - this cannot be correct can it? :?

I have just calculated my carbon footprint and im sure its not right :?

It gives a total of over 10 tonnes :shock:

Having just revamped the house all our appliances are A+ grade, insulation is tip top, new boiler, energy efficient lightbulbs and as there are only two of us minimal clothes & dish washing, hardly ever leave appliances on standby etc & even though we have two cars we only use one at a time as we share one to go to work in. We recycle almost everything and yet our carbon footprint is over 10 tonnes - this cannot be correct can it? :?

I agree Emma, there doesn't appear to be anything else you could do, probably the calculator then.

I personally felt that it doesn't ask enough questions. When I got my report it actually berated me for not having a dishwasher! I wash up once a day and have a small bowl in the sink so am not exactly using gallons of hot water, and I don't rinse dishes either. It wants me to buy a new fridge/freezer, which I would like, but that won't happen for at least six months! The report also said I should use the microwave to cook with :shock: I will have to find out how much power I use rather than rely on using the amount I pay to do the calculation, this may help

I think some work needs to be done on this :?

Mine was pretty hefty to say I never fly.

I walk and use public transport a fair bit (although I do drive).

We have made lots of changes in the home and have a 3 yr old combi boiler and all the white goods are less than 5 years old and were bought for their alleged efficiency.

Not convinced that it is accurate.