mimi5

Poorly chick need urgent help

Ok (I'm no expert - only done one hatch myself and onto second) my guess is there's not much you can do. :( Mum will teach them how to eat and drink. If it's been walking around ok, you could try dipping the beak into water to encourage it to drink. I believe chicks can survive for a couple of days on the yolk they absorb.

This little one was eating and drinking yesterday and is with 4 other chicks which are all pekins. It is not the youngest of the hatch.They are all thriving and I can see that they have full crops!! Mum is very good although it's her and my 1st hatch. Have come home from work to find it like this!!!!

Could I try to give it sugared water????

I have heard of this but not sure to be honest, I always thought sugar was bad for chickens. Maybe someone else could answer that. Sometimes chicks don't survive, it's sad but often natures way :( Have you anything you could add extra vitamins to the water? This won't help if it's stopped drinking though. I would make sure it is under mum tonight to keep it warm.

I had one chick on my first hatch that mum never wanted anything to do with. I kept putting it under her, taped it's splayed legs, got it eating and drinking, putting it back under mum. It died after a couple of days, I only drew it out for the poor thing really but had to try :( Mum knew all along it wasn't going to survive.

I think all you can do is keep an eye on it for now sometimes chicks look ok but they have underlying problems that we cant see and just dont make it if it becomes very unwell and you can see there is no hope i would cull it :( my parents had a duckling hatch under a broody a couple of weeks ago looked fine was eating and drinking then a couple of days later it looked unwell went to bed and died its the horrible bit of hatching leanne.

Well the little auracana chick was still alive the morning, but after a little observation I could see it was weak and not behaving like the others ie eating, drinking, moving around and pooing! Picked it up and gave it a drink, popped it back under mum and went of to do rounds of chores before leaving for work! But unfortunately when I checked on him/her later, not looking good. It was weaker and as mum busied herself with the others she was trampling all over it and it was now laying on it side.

Had to make a difficult decision, but took it away, wrapped it up and put it in a small box in the garage to die peacefully (it was very sleepy by then) I don't know how to dispatch...may have to learn. Cried most of the way to work. Hubby checked in at lunchtime but chich was already RIP. :(:(:(

Now watching the others (all from my own eggs) like a hawk :anxious: , but they all seem to be thriving. They are getting wing feathers!!!!!