Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 (edited) At last I have my ladies. They've settled in really well and have even been busy laying us eggs. We had yesterday within two hours of bringing them home and a so far this morning. Here's some photos: Jemima the White Leghorn hybrid Beatrice the Light Sussex hybrid Isabella the Speckledy Maran hybrid Clarissa the Goldline Matilda the Rhode Rock Emilia the Exchequer Leghorn Our first egg They've been reasonably quiet and have been exploring their run. We helped them into bed last night, but weren't really sure just how late to leave it. What time do they tend to go in to roost when it's such light evenings? They seem to be managing the cube ladder fine and although were a bit hesitant yesterday, they're up and down happily enough today, so I'm hoping they'll put themselves to bed tonight. A big thank you to everyone who has given me advice over the past few months. I'm really looking forward to putting it all into practice now. Edited June 3, 2012 by Guest Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Sammiboo Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 Fabulous collection of girls. Nothing like collecting your first egg! many happy hen watching hours to you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
jackian Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 Welcome to the wonderful world of chicken keeping ..Great photos. My girls get later every night and at the moment it is about 9 .They tend to hang about the run just before and once one goes in the others follow with in a few minutes.When the nights get dark earlier they will go to bed earlier . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 Congratulations What a gorgeous bunch Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
redsunset Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 Hello, Soo jealous!! I've had mine a week now and still no eggs! My lot go to bed at 10.20pm and dare say that will get later as being so far up north in Scotland, it's so bright at 10.30 and soon hardly any darkness until after summer solstice time. Beautiful chickens. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 What a lovely selection of chickens you have got. They are really pretty. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Author Share Posted June 3, 2012 Thanks for your lovely comments. They are a pretty bunch. I guess we'll leave them tonight and give them the chance to go to bed themselves. I want to shut the pophole door after them, so I'll keep an eye on them and fingers crossed they'll go in so I'm not out there in the dark trying to catch them! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 They are very pretty indeed and very healthy looking I wouldn't put money on them all being those breeds though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
MedusA Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 What gorgeous girls! They all look lovely. Congratulations! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Author Share Posted June 3, 2012 Redwing, I believe they're all hybrids apart from the exchequer leghorn. Which ones do you suspect are different breeds? Glad to hear they look healthy. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Redwing Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 thats right they are all hybrids apart from the exchequer Leghorn I totally agree with you there But light Sussex and white Leghorn and Marans are all pure breeds, what you have are hybrids based on those birds I dont mean to sound pompus sorry, they are lovely birds but some sellers use the pure breed names for birds that are hybrids and they shouldnt be doing that as it confuses people Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Author Share Posted June 3, 2012 Yes, they are the names on the breeders website and on my receipt. It clearly states they're hybrids on the website so I knew that before buying them. You don't sound pompous at all. I'll change my descriptions of them so as not to confuse anyone. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gazzagerkin Posted June 3, 2012 Share Posted June 3, 2012 what a lovely group ,congratulations ,great to get your 1st egg ,feels great dont it ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Author Share Posted June 3, 2012 what a lovely group ,congratulations ,great to get your 1st egg ,feels great dont it ? It certainly does. I really didn't expect one on our first day. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Ariella26 Posted June 3, 2012 Author Share Posted June 3, 2012 They put themselves to bed at 9:45pm. Good girls. After my early start this morning to let them out, I'm ready for bed myself. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...