Luvachicken

Cataracts and rabbits

My lovely bunny, Wispa, has always had problems with his eyes - usually being a bit runny or crusty, but then in this week we have suudenly noticed his eyes look like my dogs.

You can see quite big white bits right in the centre of both his eyes, one being bigger than the other. I'm pretty certain they weren't there the other day and I'm sure I would have noticed becaused I washed both his eyes.

If he goes blind will he be able to survive. I know his hearing works because they have a chocolate button tub that we shake and he can hear that. But can he survive on just that and a sense of smell ?

How long might it be before he is totally blind ?

My dog's cataracts have taken a long time to grow - I didn't realise rabbits could get them too :(

I have a rabbit with glaucoma due to Uveitis so is blind and has now got cataracts, she is under a optometrist and has eye drops 3x's a day and billberry in her diet. Your vet maybe able to prescribe some drops to help with the inflammation.

Ruby copes fine but then she is a house rabbit and we keep all the furniture in the same place and we don't leave

anything on the floor - she has the house mapped out in her head and copes very well.