Donna C

bright green runny pooh**update She has died. Advice please

Hi guys, after worrying my girls are too noisey( which they still are but neighbour on hols so going to try ignoring) . One has now got bright green runny poohs. I've cleaned her up but she's now standing in corner looking very sorry for herself. Even when put some rice in. She has scaley mite at moment but vet has looked at her and am treating it with spray every 5 days. They are reguley wormed and mite powdered etc. Any ideas what it might be and what i can do to help her poor thing?

Many thanks

Donna

Green runny poo tends to indicate that she is not eating or not absorbing her food properly.

It could be a crop problem. If she is already under the vet it might be worth taking her back for a look over.

Try some probiotic yoghurt or avipro (Probiotic) with some scrambled eggs to see if you can tempt her to eat in the meantime.

Someone else with more experience will be along soon I am sure.

How can she go from noisey running around to one day of green pooh and now died? What have I done wrong? Does anyone have any idea's what this could have been or if worth getting post-morton as got another girl who is very lost at the moment. What do I do now as really want to go back to ex-batts? Would it no o.k ( not right now of course ) to slowly mix her with ex-batts or is she better with other orps ? Any help would be great as feeling very upset and confused at the moment .

Kind regards

Donna

sorry to hear your news

I'm afraid i don't have any useful suggestions about what caused it (something not dissimilar happened to my Bluebell, a bit off colour one day; lethargic the next, then dead by morning)

My observation is that hens seem quite fragile (compared to say, us or a cat or dog). I read literally thousands of posts over various forums and books etc about mine and there were hundreds of stories of hens passing away very quickly. So I suspect you didn't do anything wrong at all, it's just the way it often seems to happen

I was also worried about my other two, gave vitamins and wormed etc, but happily they're fine - so hopefully yours will be too

Personally, I'd leave her on her own to make sure there was nothing catching going on (and take the usual precautions of giving her a tonic/cleaning and disinfecting etc) for a week or two. For me that had the advantage of making me feel i was doing something positive after the shock of losing a hen

Then look at integrating her with some others - following the usual rules about integration. Everyone seems agreed that hens aren't happy on their own. Ex bats should be fine :)

Sorry to hear your news,

It's very unlikely that you did anything wrong. Bright green poos can be a sihgn of anything from eating too many greens, to kidney/liver failure.

A few years ago I had one of my Girls die on a Saturday, and I phoned my Vet on Monday to as about a post mortem.They told me it was probably too late (for the symptoms she exhibited). I asked them what I shoudl have done for future reference, and was told to put the bird in the freezer to preserve pathogens. I can't remember what they quoted me for doing a PM, but it was too much for me to consider paying.

That might not apply to your poor Girl. of course.

Your local vet might offer a PM service. Alternatively you could contac Retfords http://www.retfordpoultry.com/poultry.html They charge £45-£63 for a PM,

Regarding mixing your Girl with your ex bats... I don't have any experience of ex batts, so can't comment on that specifically. I would say that it's not a good idea to introduce a lone hen to a group of hens though. They will all bully newbies to establish their place in the pecking order, and if htere is only one newbie, there is only one target.

Would you be able to get her 1 or 2 new friends? If longer term you want to get to one flock, then you coul dpossibly do this later, when the new group have established themselves.

Ot maybe you could put one of your ex batts in with her?

Sorry again to hear about your loss.

Unless you don't have a vet, meds are sent to arrive next day, my vets are happy to day prescription for very little if they do not have appropriate meds themselves. Always good to see yourvets stance ahead of needing too as have heard of some not so helpful vet's q gives you a chance to find a good vet then