angeluk69 Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 I've really had one of those days today... Started off with being woken up at 4:30 this morning by the rain which was just annoying. Then realised my cats have got a dose of fleas, so had to take them to be topped up and then do the whole house from top to bottom and the dog. Then my son comes home and starts scratching, so I had a look at his head to be greeted by a whopping great headlouse after a trip to tesco to get lotions and potions I've just managed to get both the little darlings off to bed Then I went to check the chooks, and noticed that one of the girls, I think its my Bluebelle, had laid but not in the nesting box, so I had great fun crawling in and rescuing the egg, and its such a little beauty (it does have a small amount of shell missing, but the inner membrane is in tact so is this still ok to use????) She was also in the nesting box and laid what can only be descibed as looking like a condom (sorry but its the only way i could think to describe it) I thought my little Hilda must have gone to bed already as she is usually first on the roosting bars as she likes to pick a spot so she can still see out the window, and looked up and saw her lifeless little body. I feel so sad for her, she was the first of my girls to lay, she was poorly a few weeks back but honestly looked to be on the mend and even ran out as usual this morning and was tucking into the pellets she definitely looked perkier than she has in a while. She was my little sweetheart, I've only had her for 6 weeks I am totally gutted and not really sure what to think Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Olly Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 Oh dear, what a day. I'm afraid it sounds as if it's just one of those things - chickens can die suddenly without exhibiting any obvious symptoms. It could have been a weak heart or an infection, you'll never know - it's fairly unlikely to be anything infectious if she wasn't showing any symptoms and if your other hens are looking ok. I note from your signature that she hadn't laid recently, and perhaps she had some internal problem. The thing you've described above is a 'lash' - it's not sinister, sounds as if your hen is new to laying and still getting her egg tackle in gear. Sorry to hear about Hilda. It's part of the ups (and downs) of hen keeping. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
poppers77 Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 Hi there, Poor you we do empathize as we lost our lovely girl last weekend which was our first time. But with all the other critters you've had to deal with today that just isn't fair. I hope you are okay & that tomorrow is a better day. Big hug. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 So sorry you've had such an awful lot to deal with today *hug* Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 Hello that's really sad, and I also hope you have a better day tomorrow. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Luvachicken Posted June 28, 2012 Share Posted June 28, 2012 "It never rains but it pours" I'm sorry you've had such a bad day and sorry about little Hilda. I hope tomorrow is better for you. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...