chocolatedog

Two new girls!

Well the chickens came this lunchtime, and out of the 4 my 5 year old son and I chose the Sussex Star and the Bluebelle. The Buff Barred was sooo pretty I feel a twinge of regret, but junior had set his heart on the Bluebelle......maybe next time! The Dominant Barred was too like my Speckeldys, which was a shame - I wish I could have had all 4 of them TBH!! Except that an Eglu only has room for max 4 so........ I imagine sometime in the next 12 months I'll be calling them again and next time I will almost definitely choose the Buff Barred......! The old omlet run has come in useful as I've cobbled together a separate run inside the larger external run (fixed with tie wraps as I think the old clips have perished!) I was very proud of my handiwork until I spotted Ginger and Pepper standing on top and weighing out how much flapping would be needed to clear the big run fence! :o So I then had to rapidly fix bird netting across over the top of the large run over where the omlet run is to prevent an escape by the older 2! (Incidentally, before we clipped their wings, Ginger, at the age of 4 1/2 had cleared the 5 1/2 foot fence of the external run from ground level :o so she would easily be able to do it now from omlet run height!!!) At the moment Gnger and Pepper are shouting their upset with me for having dared to introduce 2 new girls to them!!! Hope I don't get lynched by the neighbours!!!!! :D

Also hope I made the right choice (or junior made the right choice, whichever......!) :pray:

Aww poor things! Went down early this morning to let them out and Ginger was already shouting how DARE I put those new things in the eglu with her and Pepper? (No alternative sleeping arrangements I'm afraid!) And when I let them out Snowdrop and Bluebell were cowering in the nesting box with their heads stuffed down out of sight..... :( Poor traumatised wee things....... At least I've now got a large walk in run and large external run so there's plenty of space to avoid each other - when I introduced Pepper II and Spice II we only had the eglu run which meant they had extreme difficulty staying out of Ginger's reach! Have to see how things go today...... :)

Not as much noise today - but Ginger and Pepper stayed out in the outside run (I'd put separate food and water out there too) and the news girls in the covered run, but the door between was kept open. And come nightfall when I went to tuck them up, they'd managed to sort themselves out and go to bed together in the eglu with no interference from me - quite unlike the I first introduced Pepper and Spice to Ginger 2 years ago!!! :D