Atilla-the-hen Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Advice please - Our energy suppliers erected new cables to our electric posts today and one of the chickens flew off in fright at the noise. I have searched all day and can't see any trace of her, How far can they fly and what are the chances of her homing instincts bringing her her back? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
merlina Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 i have been astonished several times at hens' homing instincts! Mine bimbled off a few times when I first got them (before I realised what capable escape artists they were) and every time they 'came home to roost' even if I'd been hunting the whole neighbourhood for hours Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Sorry to hear your chicken flew away. Mine quite regularly are out of site as we have lots of long grass and obscured areas. I put a handful of corn on a plastic scoop and rattle it noisily and they always come running from far and wide. They will follow me to their coop,and I can get them in then. I'm not sure about their homing instincts, but mine always wander towards their coop at bed time however far they stray. Mine are only able to fly / flap run for short distances but I understand some of the lighter breeds can fly a bit better. I do hope she makes her way home soon. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Sorry to hear that, I hope she makes her way home as dusk falls. Do you have a treat dish or box that you can rattle? Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Looney Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Have you found her? Hope she finds her way home x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 Really hope she's home now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Kitty Posted August 3, 2012 Share Posted August 3, 2012 I was just thinking the same thing Roselady Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Atilla-the-hen Posted August 4, 2012 Author Share Posted August 4, 2012 Thank you everyone, she is home now, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Purplemaniacs Posted August 4, 2012 Share Posted August 4, 2012 That's great news . You must be so relieved. Chrissie Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 4, 2012 Share Posted August 4, 2012 oh good i was holding my breath whilst reading this Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Chicken Kitty Posted August 4, 2012 Share Posted August 4, 2012 Yay! Great news! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...