Janepie33

Dead Chicken

It's very sad. Lilly just died on my lap.

She developed diahorrea on Friday and went downhill very rapidly. She became very lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink anything, prefering to stand and then sit in her favourite spot under a bush. Her comb became very dark and cold and when she died I noticed some pale mucus in her mouth.

Now I feel really guilty that I didn't take her to the vet. She had a couple of episodes like that in the past, but she perked up and began to lay again quite quickly

Has anyone any idea what might have happened?

Jane

:cry::cry::cry:

If Lilly has had funny turns before, it sounds as though there was something fundamentally wrong, rather than something that the vet would have been able to put right. A lot of hens get taken to the vet, and still die. At least she didn't linger, and you were with her. But it's still miserable.

I think most people would recommend getting a new pair of young hens quickly now as companions for your remaining hen. You will be surprised how soon you will get to like them (although it will not necessarily happen immediately).

Thank you everyone for your kind words.

Poor Tilly is wandering around wondering what happend to her friend. It will be lonely for her in the Eglu tonight.

As it happens, I am going on a farm visit with the children I work with tomorrow. My children are urging me to see if they have any spare chickens to keep Tilly company.

I'll let you know what happens.

Jane