Roselady Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 More like she's trying to break me This is our first experience of a moody little hen! Started on Fri evening (or at least we'd not noticed before then) lying like a pancake in the nest box at bedtime. Saturday, hissing and growling not eating much or drinking and shrieking like a banshee till I relented and let her back in the eglu. Today, decided to tough it out - have cleaned the eglu and gardened all day. She appeared to be getting better but then decided against it. She's been horrid to the others. She has then followed me everywhere all day like a little puffed up football, clucking and chunnering and if I've turned around too quickly she's spanned her wings like something out of Jurassic Park but still followed me, trying to wear me down to let her back in to nest! When I went to rake up the leaves in my neighbours garden next door she even jumped up onto the patio table so she could see me and be near to me and carry on her tirade So I am taking your advice DM and am going to get a broody cage tomorrow. My question is where do I put it? Our set up is an eglu go and 3 metre run Grateful for any advice Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 try and reduce her temperature.. I must admit that I thought dunking in cold water sounded cruel. but it was hot when mine went broody the first time, she seemed to like the cool water, I lowered her slowly in and she almost went ah.... like we do in a nice hot bath Then wherever she sat or roosted doing her fluffy clucky thing I pointed the fan at her (not when wet!!!!). I took her down the garden and she would seem to forget for a while, but doesnt sound like that was working for you Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 7, 2012 Author Share Posted October 7, 2012 Hi Sandy Yes I read that the key is reducing their temperature, I've tried perching her high up in a tree so the air can get to her little plucked breast but she watched me walk off and then flew after me in a bad temper every time I thought about the water but we couldn't bring ourselves to do it as its been cold today. Thanks Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
duchess Posted October 7, 2012 Share Posted October 7, 2012 I put mine in adog cage away from the other hens. Have you got a garage or shed you could put the cage in? 3 nights normally does the trick Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Plum Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 Sandy how funny, the vision of a chook on a hot day with a fan on her The water didn't make any difference with any of mine, just shutting them out of the cube for 3 days, except for the pekin who took 4 weeks Don't let the hormonal hen upset you Roselady, look on it as hentertainment Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 8, 2012 Author Share Posted October 8, 2012 Hi duchess and Plum, thanks for your replies We have a shed duchess, so do I put her in the shed purely at night or does she have to go in the cage all day too? And would this be in the run or in the shed still? Plum, she is an adorable little buff pekin who is normally so sweet and friendly, and now she is a horrid little hen but I love her to bits, even her constant haranguing of me yesterday - although she did drive me up the wall! 4 weeks good grief!! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Cheeky Chooky Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 One of my little Buff Pekins, Pumpkin, is exactly the same when she's broody, she's such a little madam She teamed up with Dotty, my White Frizzle and the 2 of them commandeered the for weeks! I gave up trying to cure my girls of broodiness I do chuck them out of the nest boxes at least 3 times a day so that they get some food, have a drink and a little dust bath but generally I leave them to it now Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 I've found that the dunking thing doesn't work and only distresses them, as chickens have weak hearts any way it's probably not a good idea to shock them like that. If you're not able to put the cage in the run then can you have it alongside so that she can still see her mates? My grandfather used to hang the cage from a shady tree in their orchard. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 8, 2012 Author Share Posted October 8, 2012 Well little Bren is now in a dog cage elevated on bricks and going beserk. But she eating in between! Not sure if u can stand it Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Gertie Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 Think I might have to join you with the broody cage. My hen just won't relent. I need to buy the metal cage though as only have solid base carriers. Let me know of it works. I hope you get succes! I've heard that they might snap out of it after 30 days (the incubation period), is that true does anyone know? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
zakjon-98 Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 I left my broody light Sussex hoping she would snap out of it and it took longer than the incubation period. Next time I'm going to use the broody cage as they fight over the nest box and break the eggs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 8, 2012 Share Posted October 8, 2012 Gertie, see if you can get one off Freecycle/Freegle, that's where mine came from. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Hi everyone Cheeky Chooky that really made me laugh the thought of 2 little madams commandeering the eglu Gertie, I will let you know how I get on. Took her out this morning and she wasn't anywhere near as bad, left her in the garden with hubbie while I got ready for work. He locked them in and by the time I left for work she was in situ again in zombie pancake mode! So going home at lunch to put her back in.... (I dont like doing it though ) Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Roselady, you will need to leave her in the broody cage for 3 days 24/7, taking her out will only heat her up again which means that you will have to restart the cycle. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Thanks DM ok I will, I'll put her back in at lunch. I feel bad about it and worry the wire will hurt her feet ? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 Not at all, they give you grief for a few minutes then settle down with their own food and water. If you leave her she will starve herself and deter the others from using the nest. A broody is also a lice-magnet as the warmth draws them in, so do check her for crawlies. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Ok, really appreciate your advice. She is in the shed though is that ok? She can fit her head through the bars and I'm worried if I leave her out all day that a cat may take a swipe at her. Sorry for all the questions Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted October 9, 2012 Share Posted October 9, 2012 I'd leave her outdoors, is it possible to put the broody cage in the run with the others. I wouldn't worry about cats, she'll draw her head in. It needs to be where the air can circulate. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 9, 2012 Author Share Posted October 9, 2012 Ok will do. No it won't fit in unfortunately! Really need a walkin run! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Roselady Posted October 12, 2012 Author Share Posted October 12, 2012 Hi Gertie Well it worked, or at least so far so good! She is making odd little growly noises still when she eats (she is going to vet tomorrow for a check on this as I'm taking on of our others anyway). She has now decided that she is top girl though Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...