Eglu's that is?

I've already got a pink mk2 and my orange cube is due 14th August. But I think I've still got quite a bit of room for some more!

Perhaps I could have another eglu with some ex batts in. I would absolutely adore some ex batts. I know their floppy combs & bare chests tell a horrid story, but to me they look beautiful with their floppy comb ' hats' & it would be so rewarding to see their feathers gradually grow back! I would feel mighty proud of myself! So I think another eglu will be on the cards soon!

Emma.x

Too many glasses of wine??? :wink:

He he - glad to see we're on the same wavelength Claret!!!

Mind you I start at slimming world tomorrow night - made my mind up once & for all -------as I'm close to weighing 15 stone!!!!! And going Thailand in February. So I'll be mega grouchy on Wednesday!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

:lol:

It'll then be too many pieces of lettuce / pieces of fruit!!!!! :roll:

Emma.x

I think that it is possible to have too many Cubes, Eglus, and chickens in a garden, but I don't think any of us have reached that point yet.

I think four cubes, each with six chickens (24 chickens), would probably satisfy most people. If you go for Eglus instead, then obviously you would need twelve, each with two chickens. There is something geometrically pleasing about both these arrangements.

It's best not to go above 49 chickens, as once you have 50 you have to obey all the Defra rules.

There is definitely such a thing as too much cabbage, or too many slices of grapefruit, or too many Ryvitas for lunch, but then you would never get tired of too many skinny bikini's or too many slinky dresses or skirts, or too many margaritas on the beach so I think you'll just have to go with it! Good for you, I should join you really I keep bumping in to things as I'm in denial about quite how large my butt really is!! :lol:

But it's funny you should post about the eglus and ex-batts cos I was sitting on the patio surrounded by chooks yesterday having exactly the same conversation with my Mum! Think I might have to work on OH a bit first, my flower beds are already about 6 inches deeper and 6 inches wider than they were thanks to my 7 little Alan Titchmarshes out there!! :shock:

Mrs Bertie

oh yes, and I think Gallina has a fantastic idea with numbers - I'll put it to OH as soon as he gets back in (?!) :shock: and orange cubes are FAB, that's what we've got!

......I think four cubes, each with six chickens (24 chickens), would probably satisfy most people. If you go for Eglus instead, then obviously you would need twelve, each with two chickens. There is something geometrically pleasing about both these arrangements.

....not for me, I like odd numbers. :lol: So, 3 or 5 cubes, with extra enclosed pen, 7 or 9 hens in each. :lol:

Sadly, because I am surrounded by neighbours, I feel I need to limit the number I keep so that I can still call them "just a few pets". But what is that number? I made the upper limit 6, then moved the boundaries (on numbers, not the garden unfortunately.)

I sneaked hens in up to 10 (although 11 would be better) but couldn't tolerate anymore :roll::roll: from family so I'll def. stop there.

Except, sadly it may be down to 9 soon.

Maybe I should get a couple more? :lol:

You can't have too many Eglus/cubes until you run out of space!

can't have too many...simply impossible.

It's 1 cube and 1 mark 2 (empty) :D:shock: I am going to keep it empty as a hospital, as 8 girls is enough in our garden (4 are big girls) they all get on so well now too :P

Have as many

Cubes

Eglu's

Chooks

As you can :D8)

GO FOR IT...

BBx :D

As it is easier introducing two hens than one, I think the secret of building up your flock steadily (without the neighbours and family noticing) is to start off with four hens, and then replace each hen that dies with two new ones.

I have lost two hens and gained four, so I now have six. But I think it may well go up to eight soon, as I can't continue to follow the above rule myself: there are too many beautiful young hens around.

i think it would be strange having loads of chickens like 20 somethig (i wouldnt say no though) but because you would have so many you wouldnt be able to bond with them individually and you wouldnt be able to see the unique personalities. Plus it would be harder to check for health problams and what-not.

In the deeds to our house, the only thing we are not allowed to keep is a donkey! We can have piggies, goats, chickens, turkeys, ducks.............blah blah....

It's a 1930's house, so I suppose people were more self sufficient in those days - but saying that people are now going back to that as they are not liking what manufacturers are doing to our food....trans fats, pumping water into meat, fertilizers & pesticides & battery eggs!!!! Horrid horrid horrid!

Note to self - grow more veg next year & more eglus!!! :wink:

Emma.x