Uma

Loss of feathers and bleeding in three laying ducks?

Hi there,

Very odd, but wanted to see if anyone else had expereinced this. I have four ducks and currently three are laying. A while ago, just after we started getting one egg a day I noticed that Daisy had some feathers missing on either side of her chest, about halfway down. I figured one of the others was plucking them out, although I never saw any evidence of this. Kept an eye on it but didn't worry too much. However, due to her being white, I noticed yesterday after she had bathed that it was very red underneath so picked her up ( :lol: ) and had a look. Her quills are growing back through but with a little blood and redness and its equal on both sides. I then looked over clover who had the same thing, as does Jasmine. These are the three I believe to be laying-so what on earth is causing it? Juniper doesn't have any evidence of this at all and I don't thinks she has come into lay yet. Otherwise all are fine and well, Jasmine sometimes asserts herself by trying to sit ontop the others but that is rare. The sleep and lay in a cube so have loads of space...I just can't figure it out... :?:

Any suggestions?

Uma x

You see, thats what I thought at first, but its been this way on Daisy for about 2 months now, and its constant just-through quills. The skin underneath looks a bit bruised as well and its only on those two small sides, no where else. Also no sign of feathers anywhere... And only on those that *are* laying. Plus they are only about 22 weeks old so shouln't be moulting... :?

Uma x