kate80

WIR base advice needed

Hi, I am about to take delivery of an Omlet WIR. (have a secondhand eglu and run to attach to it.)

Is it fox safe to put it on an old veggie patch secured with some tent pegs or should I put it on a base of concrete slabs.

Is the skirt sufficient to keep out the foxes or do I need to add a dug in wire skirt in the groud around it?

Also what should I use on the floor (assuming bare earth is ok) - I was thinking wood chip but have heard about horse bedding that some people use. I have ordered a couple of covers for the roof - one clear and one green. Will be getting some ex-bats next month so have a little time to plan for their arrival.

Please help - I want my chooks to be safe.

Hi welcome to the forum :) I do not have an omlet walk in run but have found the normal eglu run to be very secure and foxproof as have seen the fox trying to get in before with no success. It could go straight onto the ground but slabs would probably be better as would stop the run from getting too wet and muddy in wet weather and would make the run even more secure if foxes are a big problem. Horse bedding is probably not the best option as it cannot get wet and this makes it unsuitable walk in runs. Wood chip is good as it lasts a long time and you can get it for free from tree surgeons. Good luck :)

We have a wooden WIR that OH made, it is on slabs and I find that works well. Orignally we had the eglu and run on soil, much prefer slabs. The eglus and runs are now on slabs too. I know some people slab around the edge to give extra protection from the fox and leave soil in the centre. Our WIR is all slabs.

I do not have any experience of an Omlet WIR but I am sure someone will be along soon who has one.

Chrissie

Thanks. If I put it on concrete slabs do I need to fix it to them somehow or will the weight keep it stable. Does it not defeat the object of having a skirt on the run? Thinking I will just put slabs around the sides as not sure how much I can FR in my garden.

Hi and welcome to the forum :) . I had an eglu run which sat on bits of slabs under the skirt (the eglu itself was on slabs). No, you don't have to fix it as the weight of the eglu/cube will keep it down but you can put stones/sleepers/etc along the skirt if you want (belt & braces!).

Some creatures can burrow under the skirt hence the reason most people put something underneath to deter them.

AS ANH said, I put bricks around the edge of my eglu runs, just to be sure :D

I don't know as I have never seen one but I would think the omlet WIR would be quite heavy especially if fixed to an eglu.

I think I would probably add something to weight it down just in case but that is just me :oops:

When is it arriving?

Chrissie

It was supppose to be delivered on Friday but didn't and half of it has been delivered today - one box missing, not sure which bits yet as haven't taken it out the box. Hope rest will turn up on Wednesday now. Once I have it up I will post some pics. It's heavey in the box so should weigh itself down.

Thanks for your comments - I just want to make sure I do it right!

Even if you might have restricted free ranging I would be tempted to slab the whole thing. The chooks will scratch about happily in woodchip & a dustbath and you can hang a cabbage up so they get greens. In this weather id be wary of any bare bits which would become a quagmire. Just my opinion!

Hello...Omlet WIR owner here :D Mine are all stood on bare earth and I use Hardwood Wood Chips, raking them over and sprinkling with Stalosan every week. I also give the girls lots of dried autumn leaves to scrat around in, when I can get them :roll: I have clear tarpaulins on the roofs too. I wouldn't worry about pegging down the skirt; as long as it's level, it should be fine :wink: Enjoy it! I love mine :D