Hunstermam

Newbie to keeping Ducks

Hi everyone, I currently have 4 chicken Eglus and 4 Rabbit Eglus and have had these lovely animals for some time, however..........I am taking in 3 rescue drakes, 2 call ducks and 1 magpie duck, and have my 9th Eglu at the ready. As I am new to ducks, can you guys let me know what length of run to have, I have 2 westies as well so want the boys to be safe. Also, what do I feed them on, are they noisy, is a trug of water sufficient???? questions, questions!!! If anyone can give me some advice and tips, they will be very gratefully received! :-)

Hi Drakes dont really make any noise and 3 boys will get on fine together as long as there are no girls around if you did want to get some girls in the future you would have to get quite a few as drakes can become sex pests during breeding season and fight just depends on the birds really.They will be fine with a trug they really just need water deep enough to dunk their heads in so they can clean their eyes and nostrils they can eat chicken layer pellets i know they are not girls but you could mix it with some corn or wheat and they love greens aswell oh and the bigger the run the better as the are very messy and good at making mud pies leanne :)

They also dont go to bed like chickens you have to put them to bed once you get them in a routine they should be fine my ducks range from 6 years to 6 months so i just go down the garden and whistle and say bed and they know what i mean :lol: also if you are ever going to let them freerange make sure the calls wings are clipped as they can fly away and i put a layer of shavings under a layer of straw in their house it helps with the moisture leanne :)