counturchickens

Start of the veggie garden year

I grow my tomatoes in 10 or 12 inch black plastic pots (I have a mix of both) sizes on a bed of gravel lined with plastic DPC to form a trank basically that gets filled with water once the tom are in the big pots it served me well for the last 8 years or so then the compost goes into the chickens dust bath in the following spring it keeps them occupied for a hour or two bracking up the pot shaped compost looking for grubs and the odd tomato seed

Finally sowed loads of seeds yesterday and planted up 3 lovely Tumbler tomato plants which I bought last weekend into their hanging baskets, they will live in the greenhouse for a while yet until the nights warm up.

Last weekend I sorted out my raised beds and planted some little gem lettuce plants and sowed some radishes. No sign of he radishes yet but the lettuces have doubled in size, must be all that lovely composted chicken poop that went onto the beds. :D

I've cheated this year and had a couple of windowsill propogators on the office window ledge at work. So far I've got some young tomato plants and a few cucumber plants. We had a new greenhouse last year so it's got to earn its keep, hence me planting some potatoes in bags to start them off in there.

Loads of the seeds that we planted on Sunday have come up and have been moved from the propagator to the greenhouse. :D I have put some other things from the greenhouse into the propagator to give them a boost for germination too.

We also spent the afternoon at the allotment clearing and rotavating and we planted some broad bean plants that we bought a couple of weeks ago, they are a bit too tall, but still very healthy, we have one seeds sown to follow on so hopefully we should be ok.

It is so exciting when seeds germinate, I think that they are magical :D

I have loads that need pricking out now, that will be tomorrow's job. Today I have sorted out my strawberry bed and given it a feed, I potted up quite a few healthy rooted runners to grow on to plant out in the autumn in another bed maybe at the allotment.