counturchickens

Start of the veggie garden year

I'm always too late - so my plan for today is to decide what to grow this year, check if I have any seed in hand, and order anything new. I have a friend who grows their own veg, and we try and share because you always raise too many seedlings, so we'll swap some things. The 'definites' will be courgettes, runner beans and tomatoes - I'd like to try celeriac and fennel again (failed last year :( ). I also want to put in some raspberry canes.

I am starting to think about what I will grow this year & what I won't bother with.

No Potatoes this year,as the ground is so very wet that I don't think they will thrive.

Ditto Onions - they were such hard work & such a disappointment last year that I am not bothering with either this year.

Will certainly be doing my many Tomatoes again, the fab mini Cucumbers I discovered last year,& some continental salad onions.

Along with Carrots,Courgettes,Radishes,Lettuce,Parsley & Beetroot.

I am sure I will find something new to try too - I usually do!

I've started thinking too.

Not sure whether to bother with tomatoes as they just never ripen for me.

I did potatoes in cheap grow bags from asda last year and they worked really well.

I've got some kale on the go at the moment but it's not doing very much.

I've got seeds on order plus some I brought last weekend plus 25 varieties of spuds hopfully I'll be able to get the other 10 or 12 that I should have got today (vans off the road due to fuel contamination so I've had to miss Ryton's potato day for the first time in about 10 years)in a week or 2

the plots about 75% dug the other bits still got stuff in but if the weather holds then some of that will be dug in the next week or 2. I'll start sowing seeds in about a month

I'm losing my whole veg patch to a housing development imminently so have a big job to do preparing a flower bed for a new patch. Not sure if it's a good enough location though, as it's right up against a garage wall and doesn't get much sun :( . Lots of ancient bushes and shrubs to clear first too . No other option, though, sadly.

ANH do you think they will get to your patch soon. If not you could maybe manage another summer out of it :?

I haven't thought too much about the garden as yet but I suppose I should buy the potatoes. I tried 'Rooster' last year and they were great so I will get them again. Tomatoes are always good in the greenhouse but cucumbers all get some sort of disease where the stems die off :? I will not buy or plant pepper seeds (remind me about this if I ever start on about them) as they never grow with me.

I still have some lovely sprouts in the raised bed and once I get my act together (and the weather improves) should pick and freeze them.

Last year, friends of ours who really do live on what they grow themselves, cropped 5% of their normal crop. Across the board. I felt so sorry for them, but better that mine wasn't me, if that makes sense.

I shall be putting in allsorts as soon as it dries off a bit, but it's too soon here in Devon yet.

Lola, tbh I'm just giving up the land now even though there's not much sign of activity yet. We've been told to make it accessible and if I did go ahead and plant things, there's every chance they'd start working right on that bit :roll: .

I've got a gardener coming on Friday to look at taking out the old shrubs so I can plan a new bed.

Just invested in a new (small) green house. the veg patch is still in use with onions, chard, garlic and PSB, and it seems all the herbs (except basil) survived the winter so sage, mint, thyme, oregano, chives, parsley, rosemary and bay :)

426099_10151341513674118_1079886203_n.jpg

I have 6 covered trays on the windowsill sprouting

Tomatoes + marigolds + basil

peppers + chilli + coriander

parsley + celery

squash + leeks

Cauliflower+ camomile

lettuce

I am very excited as this is the first year i am trying to grow from seed rather then buying the plugs :)

Hope all went ok with your gardener ANH :) I bought some more seed potatoes, this time from Aldi, so I will be prepared when the time comes. I also bought some grow bags from there too. I have decided that this year I am not growing the tomatoes in them. I will fill up pots with the contents as I got much better results from the one tomato plant I had in a pot last year than the others in the grow bags.

I also bought some grow bags from there too. I have decided that this year I am not growing the tomatoes in them. I will fill up pots with the contents as I got much better results from the one tomato plant I had in a pot last year than the others in the grow bags.

Interesting you say that - I have used pots instead of grow bags for the last two years and find it's much better. The pots don't seem to dry out as quickly, and I can get more of them in the greenhouse than the grow bags.