The Dogmother

Poor chook, nasty prolapse

(not one of mine, thankfully)

Sad event today; A friend rang today,- he'd taken a call from someone whose hen had a prolapse, she lived not far from me... could I help? I rang the lady and she popped over with her hen - very bad prolapse with some necrotic tissue, highly unlikely that it would stay in, but I washed it and gave it several goes as the owner was concerned and understandably upset.

As I'd expected, the prolapse popped back out after each occasion. A very hard decision for the lovely owner, but she decided to leave the wee hen with me to be despatched humanely. It had been a really good layer of large-ish eggs, which is often the cause of a prolapse.

Sad, but she went peacefully and quietly.

It rarely happens in pure breeds, but high yielding hybrids are prone to it, especially white stars as they lay large eggs in proportion to their size.

From having my finger up a chicken's bum last weekend, this weekend found me emptying a chicken's crop as it had sour crop. Not entirely sure which one I preferred, although happily, this hen will live.