Spinning Top

Dog wee destroying lawn

Dog wee is toxic stuff isn't it! I haven't tried any of those things I am afraid. I think it was Lillybettybabs who posted about a dog swallowing dog rocks, so that put me right off them and Green Ums looked very expensive. I do try and water the wee in when I can (there's nothing like stalking your dog round the garden with a watering can :lol: ) but to be honest even that isn't always terribly successful and I have more or less resigned myself to regular reseeding of the dead patches. It doesn't help of course that Pearl (hen) who is escape artist extrordinaire has more or less scratched up the whole lawn single handedly over winter, so my garden is now starting to resemble the sahara desert, or at least it would if it were dry. Animals - who'd have 'em?

Apparently Tom ketchup in with their food helps. Not tried it yet, but will do as last summer when Neela was a wee pup we had lots of yellow patches on our lawn :(

I can't vouch for ketchup but can guarantee that cheap tomato juice has an amazing effect - used to use it with willow, although I don't seem to need to bother now!

Calcium carbonate, in the form of ground limestone, spread on the patches, or mix it with water

some will dissolve, then water it in. Get it from horticultural suppliers or from garden centres, or even flea bay.

Cheap and fairly effective especially if used directly on the urine, if there are any small grains not dissolved it won't hurt the chooks if they pick it up. In fact it has the same calcium content as oyster shell.