The Dogmother Posted February 23, 2013 Share Posted February 23, 2013 I love the taste of milk and grew up drinking raw (unpasteurised) milk, in recent years I have found that I tolerate milk less than before; it is less easily digested and causes more mucus (sorry ) I understand that this is quite common as apparently, we lose the ability to digest lactose as we get older. A friend has suggested trying raw milk as it is better tolerated... has anyone on here tried it and found it better to digest? I have been having soya milk, which I don't mind but I really miss the taste of proper milk. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 Can you still buy it DM? My mum grew up drinking raw and warm milk too (if you want a glass of milk, go and see the cow!). There's an ad on the telly at the mo, with hedgehogs on, advertising a lactose free milk, would that be any good? ***linky*** Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Daphne Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 I have a friend who uses that brand and I have to say I didn't realise that is what we were drinking in our teas/coffees all weekend, so I would recommend it. I'm not sure if it would taste the same drunk out of a glass though I have cousins who use almond milk which I find a bit peculiar and slightly sweet, but I quite liked it on cereal and in coffee (but not tea). When we first lived in the middle of nowhere in France in 1990 we could only buy UHT milk or raw milk sold in plastic bags - like you see now in some supermarkets as a way of using less packaging, so we had raw milk all the time It's never occurred to me that it might be easier to digest as I'm not sure if the pasteurisation process does anything adverse to the lactose or whatever it is that is making milk harder to digest as you get older. It'll be interesting to hear what you discover, and as CC says, whether you can still buy it, offhand I don't think I could get it around here. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 I thourght it was against the law to sell raw cows milk for human consumption Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 I thourght it was against the law to sell raw cows milk for human consumption No, that is not correct. The prodicer can sell direct to the customer, but there can be no middleman involved. That's why supermarkets can no longer sell it. I love raw milk. There is a dairy called Hook and Son who send milk by post http://www.hookandson.co.uk/RawMilk/index.html I have bought milk from them when I visit Borough Market in London, as they have a stand there. It is fantastic.... I had forgotten that Milk was meant to taste of something, and this is really delicious. I haven't used their regular postal service, mainly because I use a milkman and I couldn't support having a milkman AND getting raw milk delivered as well. I did have a link somewhere for raw milk suppliers, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking and come back and post it if I can find it. Hazel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2013 Author Share Posted February 24, 2013 That was the link I was going to post Hazel. I used to buy raw milk directly from a small organic herd locally, but they only have a few cows and the yield is low and unpredictable. I am thinking of placing an order with Hook and Son to see how I get on with it. I have tried Lactofree and that's another option, but I prefer the health benefits of drinking raw milk. We don't get through much as there's only the two of us, the raw milk is freeze-able so that helps with storage too. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 Our local farmers market has a stall selling raw milk. They also make Lincolnshire Poacher cheese which is made from unpasteurised milk. I very rarely manage to get to the market which is a shame as I'd like to buy it and support a local producer as much as buy the product but it's not always convenient, plus the market is only once a month so I'd have to buy an awful lot of milk to last me through to the next market! Our nearest farm shop did sell non-homogenised milk (is that as word?) for a while and I used to buy that until they stopped selling it. Unfortunately these products seem very difficult to source Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2013 Author Share Posted February 24, 2013 I think I will place a small order for 6 pints and see how we go. I really miss the taste of 'proper' milk. I will report back... Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
WitchHazel Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 I think I will place a small order for 6 pints and see how we go. I really miss the taste of 'proper' milk. I will report back... I hope you like it, I look forward to hearing how you get on. Remember that raw milk is freezable, so if you like it you might be able to buy a larger quantity in one go (and it therefore works out cheaper per pint). Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2013 Author Share Posted February 24, 2013 That is what I am hoping Hazel. There's a young family down the road who i mentioned it to and they are interested in splitting an order.... PLUS, they are in more than me, so could take in the delivery Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 Not sure if it's of interest ...but I have goats milk as it easier to digest and it isn't mucus making either. I suffer from bad sinuses and have found that drinking goats milk has really helped Some people don't like the taste, but I can't tell any difference. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 24, 2013 Author Share Posted February 24, 2013 Oddly, I've never had it despite my grandparents having goats. Is it a really strong taste? I can't stand goat's cheese. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sjp Posted February 24, 2013 Share Posted February 24, 2013 I thourght it was against the law to sell raw cows milk for human consumption No, that is not correct. The prodicer can sell direct to the customer, but there can be no middleman involved. That's why supermarkets can no longer sell it. well at least I've learned something today I love raw milk. There is a dairy called Hook and Son who send milk by post http://www.hookandson.co.uk/RawMilk/index.html I have bought milk from them when I visit Borough Market in London, as they have a stand there. It is fantastic.... I had forgotten that Milk was meant to taste of something, and this is really delicious. I haven't used their regular postal service, mainly because I use a milkman and I couldn't support having a milkman AND getting raw milk delivered as well. I did have a link somewhere for raw milk suppliers, but I can't find it. I'll keep looking and come back and post it if I can find it. Hazel Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Lavenders_Blue Posted February 25, 2013 Share Posted February 25, 2013 Hmm, if you don't like goats' cheese then you might not like goats' milk very much. I love it, but can see that not everyone might. The St Helen's Farm brand doesn't seem to be as strong and 'goaty' as the Delamere Dairy brand (not sure why) so it might be worth a try of a small carton. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted February 25, 2013 Author Share Posted February 25, 2013 I'll do that then L_B, thanks. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...