Ain't Nobody Here

Advice for climbers please!

Now that I've lost my veg patch to developers :( , I'm creating a new patch. I've left a little gap between the garage wall and the raised beds where I thought I could plant something to grow up some trellises to cover the rather featureless wall.

Any suggestions of what would grow well/look nice in this spot? It gets no sun till late in the day and tends to dampness (the grass near it is very mossy. I'm thinking one perennial in the middle and perhaps some annuals either side to ring the changes each year?

8618907307_895585ef48_z.jpg[/url]

2013-04-04 17.55.33

(The strange shadow is bird table plus compost bin :lol: .)

I have hydrangea petiolaris on my East facing front wall and I love it. It's such an easy plant and looks lovely in the winter when the flowers turn to skeletons. I'd cover the back garden with it too to hide the neighbour's garage wall if I weren't so distracted by all things chicken!

What about an evergreen Clematis such as Armandii? Flowers in early Spring around about now. Not as special as usual Clematis flowers by any means but good foliage all year round. I have one along the entrance to Chickenville I could take a pic at the weekend if you like. You could then grow some more attractive flowering climbers in front of it.

Clematis

Only taken loads of attempts.....but finally a linky thingy!

I guess all the above is probably true. I am not as far north as you that's for sure. Ours is very exposed and we do get high winds,being right on the edge of the Peak District. It took a while to settle and I protected it to start off with. Definitely more slow growing than in my previous house where it was very sheltered. They are not the cheapest climbers to grow, but it might be worth an experiment?

Actually, my chickens don't eat it. The leaves are quite tough with being evergreen. Quite different to typical deciduous. However, they don't get to spend all day by it either!! But when I let them roam and free range outside chickenville there are other far more tasty morsels! You would need to protect the roots to start with bearing in mind how 'they' like to garden :lol: I put largish stones/medium 'rocks' over the roots as they are ace are gravel shifting. :)