Olly

First queen cells

I inspected my hives yesterday, not expecting much to be honest as the weather has been so cold and dull. They have drawn out wax in the super I put on a few weeks ago, but eaten most of the nectar deposited there. However in one hive I found two QCs with larvae in :shock: My friend lost her bees last year, so she's going to bring her hive over and we'll do an artificial swarm this week.

Ours are bulilding queen cups like they are going our of fashion. I have taken a split out of 1 hive, who have subsequently swarmed and had casts.....Grrrr

The other hive is a bit calmer - they are working hard to fill a super and I am hoping for an early honey crop off the oil seed rape - that is if they don't have other plans.

I found two QCs with larvae in :shock: My friend lost her bees last year, so she's going to bring her hive over and we'll do an artificial swarm this week.

Hi Olly, if there are only two it might be supersedure

Where on the frame were they?

My bees are so far behind they might just be up to strength for the winter :(

We get one or two warm days then a week of cold winds and rain. It's nearly June and the Hawthorn is not out yet.

I am hoping for an early honey crop off the oil seed rape - that is if they don't have other plans.

I've just got back from a short trip to Ross on Wye where there are quite a few fields of OSR. I must admit I was overwhelmed by the heady narcotic pong while out walking the dogs.No wonder the bees go mad on it!!!

I've never tried OSR honey so I bought a jar from a local deli and I thought it was really mediocre. Just sweet, no different floral undertones. My hubby loves it!