Guest hannah

first egg!!!!

Yesterday my chicken, sooty laid her first egg! I am so proud of her. I fried it on toast this morning! It was delicious. I have waited about 6 months for this and finally shes laying. Now I have to wait for chilli, my other chicken to start laying!

Happy mothers day!

hannah

:D

Yes, I hope that chilli lays soon. I am wondering if your chickens get pooh stuck to there feet. I have 2 pekin bantmans so they have feathers on there feet! It has been completely caked on and is rock hard. I have soaked their feet in warm water and have been able to get alot of it off. But is there a better way?

Thanks for the speedy reply!

hannah

Hmmm, I don't have that problem, I'm afraid, Hannah but it sounds like you're doing the most sensible thing to clean their feet up. Maybe it's because they've got such feathery feet. My girls feet are just scaly and no matter how dirty they get in the quagmire that has become our garden, their feet are beautifully clean when they come out of the Eglu in the morning.

I think you're doing exactly the right thing in washing their feet regularly and I can't think of anything which would work better than that :wink: .

Good question, Hannah!

It looks like I'm here all the time but I just pop on every now and then to see who's about and what's being talked about.

No, I'm not part of the Omlet team, just an Eglu owner! Poor James, the administrator, was having a bit of a job keeping up with all the postings and nattering that was happening on the forum a few months ago so he asked a few of us regulars if we would like to take over the moderating for him. Lesley, Motherhen and I have special powers on the forum and keep it tidy for him! If anything's been posted in the wrong section or someone has a problem using the forum, one of us usually manages to sort it out without having to involve the Omlet team who are up to their eyeballs making and selling all those lovely Eglus!

:) Congratulations Hannah, how exciting...Maggie has just had a 1st bantam egg too...there's some chat about bantams on one of the threads on this forum....think its under Chickens entitled Bantams :!: might be of interest to you.

Look forward to hearing more about yours too.

I thought Kate lived inside my computer...& she shouldn't be vaccuuming on Mother's Day. :)

What a funny thought :lol::lol::lol: ! I don't think I'd fit in your computer, Sheila!! Trouble with my lot is if I didn't do the hoovering, it wouldn't get done - Mothers Day or any other day :( !

The thread you were talking about was in the Eglu section for some reason - I ought to move it, oughtn't I - while lethargy has set in though I'll post a link to it here instead! How's that :wink: .

:P:P:P:P CONGRATS TO ALL NEW EGGS :P:P:P

What was your 1st !egg! , like Hannah .. I had bantams as a nipper, and remember them being small and white, and boiled for about 2 mins 8)

Taday, I have my 1st egg.
Sheila, you sound Australian :lol: , glad to hear you got a 1st egg ... pics in gallery please :!:

:D:D

Thanks Kate & Nicola, the enthusiasm on this forum has been great...my complete over-excitement seems to be understood whereas, elsewhere, the eyes glaze over after a minute or two.

However, it serves me right that I thought I'd just type a 6 word announcement......how cool is that . 8)8)8) ......no one would realize I'm jumping up & down over an egg.

Then I put Taday instead of today. Ruined. Not at all cool then. :roll:

Imagine Neil Armstrong getting the words wrong!

(But now I've had 3 eggs, so I don't care) :D

My first egg :lol: BUT the shell was too soft and it was broken :cry: . The yoke looked so yellow.My girls are only 17 weeks old, I thought this was too young to lay. Is that why the shell might have been too soft? Please advise me if you can anybody.Don't know if Hetty or Matilde laid it. But Hetty ate it!!!! Is that normal? :?

Egg eating normal :shock: ? Oh yes, unfortunately :wink: ! They love them!!

I'm not certain but I would think the soft shell is because they are still very young. Do they have access to crushed oyster shell or baked crushed hens egg shells? It's a good idea to have some available for them all the time so you know they are receiving all the calcium they need to form good shells.

I hope the next egg you get is cookable!! It's such a shame to lose that first one.

They do have oyster shell available. I'm really hopeful for the next one. !egg! Maybe they are just too young. Anyway I was very proud of them both :D . Thanks for putting my mind at rest Kate, over the egg eating business. She did seem to enjoy it. (green eglu)GNRPP

Emma I agree with Kate it is probably a soft shell because they are young birds and they do love to eat raw egg.......Try to remove them if you can before they eat them and then they won't get into bad habits....... :lol:

Hope you get a good egg soon I am sure you will...........

Perfect egg today !egg! . Not sure who laid it but I suspect it was Hetty GNR as she was making some strange noises before I had to go out. When I got back there it was in the nest. I ate it poached for my lunch. It had a double yoke, is that unusual :?:

So egg-citing :!: Excuse the pun.