mcfee2 Posted July 25, 2013 Author Share Posted July 25, 2013 thank you guys for your kind words. it feels a bit daft to be this upset but she definitely had an impact on our lives. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mollyripkim Posted July 25, 2013 Share Posted July 25, 2013 No, its not daft at all, you nursed her and its only natural to feel upset. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mimi5 Posted July 25, 2013 Share Posted July 25, 2013 Ah so sorry to read this There would be something wrong if you weren't upset!!!! You did all you could and I'm affraid sometimes with chickens this is the outcome How's the other one? Maybe keep a close eye on her? RIP Crocus Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
oneyolktoanother Posted July 29, 2013 Share Posted July 29, 2013 So sorry sending hugs Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
mcfee2 Posted July 29, 2013 Author Share Posted July 29, 2013 I've been watching the others, particularly Phlox, and can't see anything to worry about. Poos all normal, they are eating very well and yesterday I let them DR - in a different bit of the garden to the big girls, and they were tails up happy as can be. hopefully they're going to be ok! I just can't decide how much longer to keep them completely separate - I think another week, at least, just to be sure. My concern now is that Coriander is definitely older - her comb and wattle are going red already, where the other two are barely showing combs. Daisy stopped cheeping last week so I think she's only about ten weeks now. so how do I integrate them to the big girls? is it ok to leave Coriander on growers after she starts laying or should I put both types of pellets in for them? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
gongladosh Posted August 9, 2013 Share Posted August 9, 2013 poor girl, RIP. They do get to you don't they? Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Mrs_B Posted August 9, 2013 Share Posted August 9, 2013 So sorry to be reading this news about your poor little lady Last year my flock became ill and we weren't sure what it was - one hen in particular succumbed. She struggled to walk and would go onto her side often, and I ended up feeding her through a syringe. I tried all sorts of things, but sadly she died with me holding onto her after a few weeks trying to fight whatever was wrong. I had a PM done and it was something rare called Blackhead - you can do everything you can for your pets, which is the main thing, but sadly it's unfair that these horrible situations happen. Being upset is absolutely normal! I was devastated when I lost my hen. You did everything you could for Crocus - huge hugs! x Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted August 17, 2013 Share Posted August 17, 2013 Just picked up on this thread. I feel so sorry for you it's heartbreaking watching them go downhill. I got so upset when I lost Pansy and Mabel last year in quick succession that I thought I couldn't go on keeping hens...then someone said to me "if you've got livestock you've got deadstock" and so I bucked up my ideas, got three rescue chickens and we are still going. All you can do for them is your best, and you certainly did that with Crocus..In the end nature takes its course they are lucky to have such a caring owner Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...