Purplemaniacs

I don't believe it - kitten!

On Friday we helped DS and GF move from their flat into a house.

Went earlier today to give him his birthday present and a couple of their friends were there and they have given him a kitten as his birthday present. DS claims it was a complete surprise and apparently because the cottage has a cat flap they think having a cat will be fine.

I am terrified of cats, can't be in the same room as one and they always go straight for me as they sense my fear.

The kitten was quite cute for a cat but the poor thing seemed as terrified as I was. I know nothing about cats and I was wondering how old a kitten should be when it leaves its mum. It seemed so little and scared.

Will it be ok at night, I know about puppies, they often cry the first night or two, are kittens the same?

Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

Chrissie

Not stupid at all - kittens are fairly adaptable, it will probably want to snuggle down somewhere and it will prefer to share their bed if they let it, but it should be fine with a cardboard box and a towel or an old cardigan, I don't think they cry at night although it's been a while since I had a kitten. Do you know how old it is? It may seem shy now but I bet it soon recovers its mojo!

I'm really sorry that you're so scared of cats, because yes it will seek you out, they always know! Do you think with it being quite tiny that you might be able to get used to it more easily and perhaps your fear would reduce a bit?

I suspect the reason they go for you, is that you don't look at them. In cat language that's saying " I'm friendly". If you don't want a cat to come to you, stare at it, because that means aggression. However, I do hope you can get on with the little kitten. One major advantage is that kittens, unlike puppies, come house-trained by Mum. But they may need a litter tray for a while if it's too small to go out.

it will probably want to snuggle down somewhere and it will prefer to share their bed if they let it, but it should be fine with a cardboard box and a towel or an old cardigan,

Thanks Olly they have a cardboard box with some vet-bed in it and it snuggled up in there and went to sleep while I was there. I did manage to stroke it when it was asleep so maybe I will grow to like it. Friends who have cats try to put them in another room or outside before I arrive but I remember a firends cats Gin and Tonic I got to their house one evening and the cats were on the doorstep, so I had to ring them and say can you let me in, the cats are stopping me from ringing the doorbell :oops::D

I suspect the reason they go for you, is that you don't look at them. In cat language that's saying " I'm friendly". If you don't want a cat to come to you, stare at it, because that means aggression. However, I do hope you can get on with the little kitten. One major advantage is that kittens, unlike puppies, come house-trained by Mum. But they may need a litter tray for a while if it's too small to go out.

Thanks Patricia, lots of interesting facts, I will have to remember the staring. How interesting about house-traning. Their friends gave them a litter tray as part of the present :roll: and I did wonder if the poor little thing would know what to do with it, so it sounds like it will.

Chrissie