Ain't Nobody Here

Annoying silent calls - free Silent Call Guard Service

I'm with the TPS but have been getting at least one a day from the same number, often late in the evening. When I pick up, there's no-one there or they hang up before I even pick up :evil: . Googling the number showed it's a common nuisance call.

Virgin Media have a number on their website for a free Silent Call Guard Service (0844 372 2325). It's an automated service and I've just registered my number. It's not anything to do with VirginMedia so you don't have to be with them to use it.

It won't block overseas calls (there is another product - presumably not free - for that) but should block UK ones (which is what I've been getting).

Fingers crossed - it makes me so angry that THEY call ME but aren't even there when I answer :evil: . Not that I want to speak to them anyway :roll: .

Maybe it's one of those companies that use a computer to call loads of numbers at once in the hope that some will be answered but they don't have enough staff if everyone did actually answer?

Why they sometimes hang up, I'm not sure, perhaps once they have a certain number of calls answered?

In some ways, it's more annoying than someone actually trying to sell you something. At least then you feel you're in control of how you end the call!

Our home phone is on a permanent answer machine thing now,because of these calls & the late night faxes too. Its BT callminder.

We are slowly moving everything over to our mobile lines, & have got good apps to deal with these annoying calls on our phones, should we get them.

if it's an automated caller then it keeps dialling the number until the system logs it as been connected to an operator normally it's a UK number but an over seas call centre the hang up could be the line dropping out or and operator not picking up in time once free. TPS don't always work with these numbers due to the TPS terms and conditions re numbers connected to companies we've had dealings or accounts with but that bit I've never got my head around and I'm not sure it's not an urban myth

I was told the same about those silent calls sjp. The only way that I found stopped them (TPS doesn't seem to pick them up) was to have caller ID and not answer any call I don't recognise; if they don't get an answer, then they just stop dialling that number after a while.

I work on the principle that if it's someone wh really needs to speak to me, then they will either leave a message or call my mobile.