Daisgirl

First time incubating blog!

Hi all!It is my intention (but be patient) to blog on my first attempts at hatching ducklings from a mini Dasp Incubator. Mainly because when I tried finding information on this incubator - there was very little.

Sooooo.... I thought it might be helpful for you take the journey with me :D Although I will be asking for advice along the way I am sure!

I didn't get off to a good start! Eggs that I ordered arrived before the incubator (6 Magpie eggs) and therefore the eggs are being set at 6 days old already. I did store them as advised so hopefully all will be well.

The incubator was easy to set up and I set the temperature which did not seem to take too long to stabalise (over night). Although as the unit is so small, I found the water a bit difficult to put in as it is like a thin moat running around the outside under the dome.

I also haven't a clue how to maintain raise or lower humidity as it does not have a control for this. I have seen that putting sponge in helps humidity so I might try that. I have ordered a hygrometer / thermometer to help me know what the humidity is so will keep you updated.

I candled all of the eggs and there seemed to be nothing untoward and I put them in this morning - so day 1!

It is my intention to candle again at 3-4 days just to see if I can see any veins forming (and because I am impatient!).

I have also been advised to spray the eggs once a day with a warm misting from day 6 - 25 so I might try this too.

th_20130828_081032_zps94bac726.jpg

Please feel free to throw any hints and tips my way!

My incubator seems to be hovering between 37.5 and and 37.7. Goes up and down all the time. Is this range ok or should I lower the set temp to achieve a slightly lower temp. It v is set at 37.5 but doesn't seem to stay on it.

Any advice would be welcomed. Thank you

Well, here we are! I have waited patiently and can report that as far as I can see I only have one living egg! I am unsure as yet about one other, but as it is day 6, then I think it is only going to be the one egg.

It has been like checking on children in bed! Every time someone goes upstairs, they check on the temp of the incubator lol!

This is my only egg so far. I am going to give it two more days before I throw the rest. (just in case :) )

th_20130902_073029_zpsec679619.jpg

Well, dare I say it! Our day 9 egg is doing well so far. I am hoping you will be able to view the video by clicking on the picture where you will see the little one moving around and taking a peak at us with his big eyes lol.

I think you may have to wait for the video to buffer when you click on it. Can anyone let me know that it is working please.

th_20130906_054906_zpsbe058dde.jpg

Thank you Leanne, I most certainly will. Solo is doing well at the moment so fingers are crossed (my hubby thinks I am mental naming an egg!)

It is a shame that there is only one :( but I think it was probably down to the eggs being posted and a long wait to go in the incubator).

I have now also bought a bigger incubator and I have 6 Magpie eggs and 6 Buff Orpington's going in tonight. So I am hoping for better results. I have candled them all and they look fertile and no black or anything like that so hopefully better success.

Day 14 Candling - Again - I think you will need to allow it to buffer.

th_20130909_171419_zpsb2b5825b.jpg

xx

Well, we are on day 20 and fingers crossed - little Solo is doing well. I have a question though. I am incubating him in a mini incubator where the eggs are standing upright and do not need turning. However, the instructions do not say if when ready to lock down, i take the egg out of this stand and lay it down or should i leave it in the little stand and allow it to hatch (hopefully) in the upright position.

I have come so far with this first attempt at hatching that i do not want to risk doing anything wrong. HELP! :pray:

Blooming typical. It looks like the duckling is going to pip the wrong end! It is day 26 and nothing showing in the air sack but loads of movement in the pointy end. At first I thought it was his feet waggling but I think I can see his little beak. I guess I just got to let him get on with it and how he will sort it out :pray:

Soooooooooo sad :cry:

My incubator went mental yesterday (I think the fan must have failed) and the temperature soared to stupid degrees whilst I was out! There was just no hope for my duckling who was on day 26.

I can't believe it - after checking the temp and humidity so often every day and for this to happen at the last hurdle! My husband reckons as we think little Solo pipped at the wrong end - it was natures way of telling us something was wrong (and the b****y incubator).

I hope my other incubator is ok as I have 5 out of 6 Magpie eggs and 3 out of 6 Buff Orpingtons in there. All seem to be doing well and we are on day 11.

Fingers crossed.