tinaduffyjames

Only one hen left- what to do?

Hi, out of my 3 Omlet hens, we have only one left. We have lost 2 in the past four weeks. Though they reached a good age of nearly 6 years old. That now leaves Evil Edna on her own. She looks so lost without her friends.

So what do I do now? Is it fair to introduce more hens when she will be outnumbered and with her being an old girl?

Or do you think it's more unfair to leave her on her own ? Don't know what to do for the best.

If you search on here, you'll find several threads about this subject. If you intend to go on keeping hens, then I would get some now - there may be some aggression during introduction, but it usually settles down, and she will be happier than on her own as hens really prefer to have some company. If you get two immature (POL) pullets, she is likely to dominate them to begin with and that may make the introductions easier - take a look at the FAQs for advice on how to introduce them.

Hi

If you are introducing young hens she will most likely cope quite well.

She will let them know she's not happy for a short while but will appreciate the company.

I put new hens in the coop at night and spray them all with diluted vinigar and so far it has worked well.

Also, I keep them busy by throwing treats around the run for them to find.

Hope all goes wll for you and Edna.

I was in the same situation and chose to get 2 new girls. I put them in together on Saturday and touch wood it seems ok so far. As has been said, the old girl is quite a bit bigger so the new ones have accepted their position without too much squabbling. They get chased and a peck if they go near her treats but other than that they sit on the perch and free range together and they seem happy enough. My problem at the moment is the new girls are choosing to roost in the run. They seem to want to go in to the house but then lose courage half way in.

It makes me happier too. Having 2 old girls I'd forgot what it was like having that little bit of excitement when you go in to the run that there might be an egg or 2! And it's nice seeing them all plocking round the garden together.

Thank you for all your replys. I am going to choose a couple of chickens on Sunday. Very excited and truly hope that Edna will be ok with her new pals. I am going to divide the WIR in half at first and just put them in the eglu together at night. My husband wants a Brahma but I think it will be too big . Having said that he very rarely gets his own way so will see what happens Sunday. They have lots of different hybrids and pure breeds. A barnevelder would be my choice. Can't wait and nervous all at the same time.

PP

Hope Edna gets some new friends soon! I am still waiting for my hens and cube to arrive! And not yet sure how to turn on the smilies either, As I'm new to this forum too! Good luck with the new hens, if you get some! X

You have to have a few more posts to open the smilies. I think it is 10. .

Good luck with your new girls. Don't forget to hav the camera ready .