cluckingmad

has anyone used Flaxcore as bedding?

Hi lovely peeps :D

Has anyone used Flaxcore as bedding instead of hemcore or aubiose? We've used aubiose for years with our little herd of chooks (hubby decided that we now have too many to be a flock, so they're know as the herd!) and love it but due to family reasons I've had to go part time at work so money is incredibly tight so we've been looking for an alternative to aubiose that is less pricey but at least close to being as good....

anyone got any thoughts?! x

Hello

I have used this in the nest boxes and in the run. It can be a little sharp at times due to the small pieces of flax which are about an inch long. However, the girls have mixed it into the existing run materials and happily dust bathe in the mixture, so they don't seem worried.

I have noticed that when you are collecting eggs from the nestbox, the flaxcore is still warm!! It seems to hold the heat for some time so will be good for the winter. It goes a long way too. Also, when a softie breaks in the nest box, somehow the liquid runs through the flaxcore and the top stays dry, which is quite odd. I have to fish about and check the lower level to see what to remove, but at least the girls stay comfy.

All in all I would really rate it for the nest boxes especially.