Leicester_H Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 Hi Went to pick a head torch (for OH to buy me for a Christmas pressie) - too much choice! Ranged in price from £10 to over £100 !!! Are the cheap ones good enough (for night time chicken duties) ? What brightness is needed ? (in lumens) ? Anything else to consider ? Thanks, H Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Willow Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 The £10 led head torches seem fine to me. They get lost so I only ever buy the cheap ones now and was impressed with how comfortable the latest from Tesco are. No idea how many lumens sorry Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Charlottechicken Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 Thanks for reminding me that I have one of these and never use it! Thankfully, I remembered where I had put it and have just tried it out in the cupboard under the stairs (AKA black hole of Calcutta!). I was able to see very well in there, it works as well as a normal torch, so I will give it a go in the chicken run tonight. Mine was very cheap, certainly less than a tenner, and has a tiny screw in bulb in it. It is called a Head Light, and has a yellow strap and quite a wide lamp part, over 2 inches wide. It takes 2 AA batteries. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Princess Leia Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 OH bought me one of these a couple of years ago. http://www.torchdirect.co.uk/head-torch-range/led-lenser-h5-professional-head-torch.html Absolutely brilliant (no pun intended). Also use it when dog-dragging - it keeps you hands free and also has a red LED on the back for extra visibility. Takes standard AAA batteries rather than fiddly button cells. OH uses this company to supply his work, good to deal with. All the LED Lenser torches we've tried are excellent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Eggasperated Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 Oh no Princess Leia I have clicked on the link and now it looks like a must buy! I really shouldn't click on any links on this forum . Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
yvonne Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 I have several from cheap to expensive and to be honest, the cheap ones are fine ! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
merlina Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 I have bought a number of cheap ones from ebay - all well under £10. Quality has been a little variable, but all perfectly adequate - generally the bigger (ie more little bulbs they have) the brighter eg I have one that looks exactly like this one at £3 including p&p which is fine: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-LED-HEADLAMP-HEADLIGHT-ULTRA-BRIGHT-TORCH-CAMPING-FISHING-LIGHT-OUTDOOR-/380608815545?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item589e0da1b9 My favourite for 'hen duties' is this one (or one that looks exactly like it) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ULTRABRIGHT-32-LED-HEADTORCH-HEAD-TORCH-LIGHT-HEADLAMP-HANDS-FREE-WORKLIGHT-/130836748797?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Camping_LightsLanternsTorches&hash=item1e767a59fd which is fabulous for under £7 including p&p and has lasted a 2/3 years so far Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
The Dogmother Posted December 6, 2013 Share Posted December 6, 2013 I've had various different makes and they never seem to last. I now have a battery operated LED torch, which has a hook on the back to attach it to clothing, and a magnet on the back. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...