Chocobo

Look at my new residents!

A few days ago my mother found a ringdove on the road, it had a paralysed foot and a broken wing. Its been living in a parrot cage we brought specially for that purpose...

Then yesterday when we were getting out of the car in our drive we noticed a baby ringdove or pigeon on our windowsill and as we have a mean cat that comes to our garden and kills our birds we knew it couldnt stay out there....

So now we have two birds living in the parrot cage... And the baby ringdove/pigeon has adopted the ringdove as it's new mum! It keeps snuggling up to it and sticking its head under her wing.. :)

Heres a picture of them both!

P8060110.jpg

P8060109.jpg

they are having water, mixed grain and have had a couple of broken up bits of layers pellets, and also a tiny bit of wholemeal cake i made! we're used to looking after baby and injured birdies... the baby one is pecking around on its own and since yesterday the big one has taught it to take water on its own- yesterday it was drinking off a feather dipped in water!

Ah bless. they are beautiful, we have a family of them that are always in our garden, they are nest building at the moment as they keep pinching bits from the chicken run.

I love to listen to their crows, or the noise they make. x :D

How long will you hang on to them for?, and how do you release them?, x

We will keep hold of them till the baby one is a bit more grown up, and the adult is fully recovered, they are going to go outside in a larger area when they are a bit more recovered to get them used to the wild and the weather..

Not quite sure how we'rre gonna let them go as we discovered today that the thing we thought was hunting and eating our ringdoves isn't actually a cat...

I saw it today and we have a Peregrine Falcon in our garden eating our bird.. x

Wow, a Falcon, in some respects lucky you, but then in other , its not good.......... if you know what i mean.

I didnt realised that they ate the pidgeons!! do you have a wood near by that maybe they could be released into, ( or do they have to go where you found them?,)

Is the Falcon a nearby resident?, or just a visitor.

Dunno whether it's just a visitor, but i know its visited quite a few times- twice in the last couple of days.. We also get sparrowhawks coming into our garden. We don't have a nearby wood, all the ringdoves just live in our garden! The little babie bird is very cute, it keeps snuggling up to the big one. We now think that the big birds wing and foot were probably got by the falcon because they're too cleanly cut and small too be a car. we also think the little birds mum was probably got by the falcon and is one of the piles of feathers otside..

Good for you!!!

Weldone for rescuing the pigeons, not many people would do that.

I wish i new what to do when our cats bought us an injured bird yesterday.

I put it in a box with shredded toilet paper with a small water container and some dried maelworms and put it in the plants.

The bird later died though, we think because of shock. :cry:

but weldone you!

Update on the residents! the little one really likes it's new mommy! i went in to check on them and the little one was snuggled up to the big one with it's head tucked under the big one to keep warm! it was very cute. The little one loves running around the big one and jumping over it! I think they like the fact their in a parrot cage because they can look out and survey the surroundings.

:D

Can anyone think of good names for them? because we will be looking after them for quite a while and i can't keep calling them little one and big one! :lol: Maybe related names that are good together? Thanks! :D:D

Sad news.

I woke up this morning and the little one had died in the night. we dont really know why as it looked like it was eating and the morning before it had been leaping around and stuff.

The adult one looks lonely now.

So i feel very sad and :cry: today.

Good for you giving those birds the best chance possible. Sorry to hear about the little one but hopefully the adult will make a full recovery :D

I know it seems sad that the peregrine's kill pidgeons but they have been persecuted for so many years by people who keep racing pidgeons and were in real trouble at one point :evil: Thankfully they're doing better now and are doing well with the huge modern buildings as they think they're cliffs and next on them! There's a pair that nest in the centre of Brighton on a large block of flats! Sorry for the rant but i'm an ecology and conservation student :oops:

I don't begrudge the bird being here. I'd rather there were a few less ringdoves in my garden then the peregrine falcons had less places to survive. It's just sad when you see them take the ringdoves, and the huge piles of feathers afterwards.. i like the birds in my garden.