LunaKiw1

Just introduced 2 new girls to one surviving chook

As we suspected when we took Goldie, our 2.5 year old hybrid to the vet this morning she confirmed peritonitis and we decided it was kindest to leave Goldie to be PTS. The vet said she must have been feeling very uncomfortable. so, RIP Goldie. Although this may seem very unfeeling we stopped off at our local Activity Farm, which also sells POL hens, on the way home and collected two Warrens. They look very like Goldie so hopefully Daisy, our sole remaining chook who is a Speckledy, might identify a bit more easily with them. It's a lovely sunny day here so at the moment Daisy is happily free-ranging (but within Omlet netting) with her Grub and Glug attached to the outside of the WIR and the new girls are inside the Omlet WIR with separate food. We will put some dividing netting up inside the WIR shortly when Daisy needs to go back inside and then will let the newbies go to bed in the Eglu tonight before stuffing Daisy inside when she's too sleepy to get wound up. Fortunately Daisy's egg-laying days ended last July so she doesn't need rapid access to the nest box these days.

So far Daisy has pottered around the outside of the IR and not paid much attention to her new sisters. She was always something of a free spirit so maybe she'll accept new companions and not feel she has to chase them too much. We had already lost Bluebell to impacted crop last summer so knew when the next one went that we'd need to get at least two replacements. Fingers croosed the introductions go smoothly!

We're in the same position. Poppy (pepperpot) has been on her own since October (she's 3 and hasn't laid for well over a year). We were waiting until better weather to get two more POL's, so will be keen to hear updates as to how they get on. Unfortunately, we only have the Go with its attached run for housing, so they would have to get on straight away.

Wow Blackrocksrock - that sounds horrendous!! So far, Daisy is making a lot of complaining noises at being on her own, even though she can see the other two in the WIR so maybe she is missing Goldie a bit. I'm dreading the actual face-to-face intros but we'll see.

Did it to both my new ones straight away. The maran is lighter though but I wouldn't have put it past her to have a go. I remember both the buff Sussex and the cuckoo maran flying over my head at a similar age! The orpie was probably unnecessary but it's just a precaution until they settled down. I've only ever clipped my girls wings once in their entire lives.

WEll so far, so good in terms of introductions! We put some dividing netting up inside the Omlet WIR so that is keeping the 2 new girsl physically apart from Daisy but all in sight of each other. On each of the last two evenings we have shoo-ed new chooks Rosie and Poppy into the Eglu and shut the door at around 6pm. Then, when it is getting darker around 6.30, we've gone out and Daisy has just been waiting by the Eglu doo and when we've opened it she has gone in on her own and there's been no noise at all! We've got up at 6 the last two mornings and let them out and organised them back into their respective halves of the WIR. They've each got access to their own food and water. This morning we let Daisy out to free range in the shrubbery as usual, which is enclosed by Omlet netting, then we let Rosie and Poppy out too - watching procedings closely! There have been a few instances of giving quick pecks and a few barges from Daisy towards Rosie and that seems to have got the message across that she, Daisy, is top chook! Poppy has just kept a very low profile! Since she and Rosie came from the same shed they've clearly already sorted themselves out in pecking order. Daisy at times seemed to be following the newbies round but more in a kind of 'I'm keeping my eye on you btwo so just watch it' way rather than as if she's seriously thinking of attacking them. They have had 2 hours of joint free-ranging but now the new girsl have been put back in the WIR and Daisy is sunning herself outside it. They all seem quite relieved to be able to relax now separated again. We won't push things but fingers crossed after a few more days like this we can try them all together inside the WIR as well as when outside it. We have got a 'naughty spray' ready at hand though - just in case a quick squirt is needed to stop Daisy getting too domineering!

Today Daisy, Rosie and Poppy free-ranged all day together with little more than the odd threatening peck from Daisy as mostly the newbies just scuttle round her. This afternoon all 3 were in and out of the WIR and seemed happy to be in it at the same time so around 4pm, when Daisy expects her teatime treat, we scatterd some of yesterday's left over rice on the ground, rather than in the usual treat bowl, so that each could find a little something without needing to be too close. We've left the dividing netting up but now folded back so it is only half way across. This means we could, if necessary, quickly separate them - but so far they seem to be all 3 quietly getting on. So I think I can now pronounce them as all safely integrated. What a relief it has all gone so smoothly! Mainly I am sure because we made use of all the helpful advice that others have posted on here and that I have learnt off by heart over the years!