LunaKiw1

and we thought it was going so well .......

I posted on here recently about successfully integrating two news hens to our one reamining one, Daisy, after her sister was PTS last Thursday. We had taken it carefully over the latter part of last week and the weekend, culminating in all 3 free-ranging yesterday without any aggro (well, a few pecks from Daisy and the newbies quickly learnt to duck round her clealry acknowledging her as top chook) and then all being in the Omlet WIR together without fuss by yesterday evening. Daisy then took herself off to bed at 5.45 last night - which was very early - but we put it down to (a) she was knackered after shadowing the two younger birds all day or (b) she was fed up with being shut out and then stuffed through the door after they'd setled on previous 3 evenings and so wanted to get in there first). But this morning when we opened the Eglu up at 6am (just to ensure no fracas inside) she wouldn't come out. Eventually, half an hour later and some gentle prods later, she emerged but she has been very lethargic - all hunched up and staying under a bush instead of following the new girls round like yesterday and not even keen on some grapes to cheer her up. She's always very fluffed up looking (she's a speckledy) but OH checked her crop and tummy and both seem fine. Why should she suddenly go downhill? Could it be stress catching up with her? What can we do? If she's not better tomorrow we'll take her to the vet's but I don't want to have a 2nd girl PTS inside one week if possible! On the plus side one newbie, Rosie, laid her first egg this morning - a small (36g) but beautifully formed one.

wow that sounds like one of my girls, I was so worried put a post on here ''always something to worry about''

Betty has not been herself for the last four days, she is slowly picking up but for the first two days wasn't interested in mealworms, grapes tuna....I was desperate so made a really watery porridge of her pellets and after day two she started to have a few pecks.

she is still not 100% but getting better daily, a lot more interested in her surrounding's

Could be off base but think newbies always unsettle the others/other. My guess would be a. Missing her pal and b. Worried about her status now in the flock. I'd give her a day or so yet as chooks do not like changes and may well settle yet given time? I homed a lone chook last year and while she wanders about with the gang of a sort,I fear she is still a lone chook as often find her sort of on her own? Give it a wee bit of time yet if no immediate health problems I'd say?

Thankyou Redsunset - I think you're right it's nothing to worry about and just her reaction to all the changes. In fact towards the end of yesterday afternoon she had perked up a bit and even pecked the newbies a few times which I was perversely pleased about as it showed she'd got some spark in her again. This morning they all 3 came out of the Eglu together and Daisy seems OK and she did eat straight away. Rosie and Poppy are clealry going to be a pair and seem to always go around together so i fear Daisy will never be their close buddy but as long as she's happy in her own little way that's the main thing.