soapdragon

Junggar Hamsters? Any Info, Oh Wise Ones?

Having lost Fang, the dwarf Siberian winter white Russian pearl hamster (loooong name; tiny creature!) a few weeks ago after 2.5 years we are keen to replace her. However, I really want one that has been home bred and handled from birth as I do think they are less 'nippy' than shop bought ones.

Gumtree Oxford has an ad for 5 Junggar ones and I am having trouble finding details about this breed on the www. Whilst I continue to trawl the interweb, can anyone shed any light on this breed please? So far I think that they are Chinese but are they dwarf? Could we keep two together - we have a largish Imac cage.

Thanks in advance, peeps!

Update; have just found out that they are a docile, friendly breed but still very keen to hear from anyone who has kept a Junggar!

They will be djungarians if oxford area I suspect I know the original provenance pm me if you want to know more!!!

They are similar to Russian and Chinese but can be nippy so need a lot of handling haven't seen one personally in 30 years but did have a couple as pets they are relatively rare these days in the uk :think:

My niece had two of these. Renamed Hannibal is the only one left. That's all I am saying :(

They are very fast, and quite nippy. Not friendly hamsters really. I think shop bought ones are ok, just as long as you get them young enough and handle them lots. We have had shop bought ones and they were, after a bit of handling, lovely.

We always found the " normal" larger hamster best for children. The little ones were always very nippy. I was very proud of the fact that we mated and reared our own brood of large hamsters - no mean feat as the female is only receptive every four days and tries to kill the male the rest of the time!

I also have fond memories of said offspring of large hamster escaping into the ceiling space on Christmas Eve, and having to rip down walls to get her out.......

Probably...... there was also the time that the fish tank (in son's bedroom - not to be recommended) burst. Water came through the dining room ceiling and then out into the garden through the cavity wall. In the meantime, son 1 cut his arm on the broken glass, whilst sons 2 and 3 caught fish ( only 2 lost - one found dessicated in between leaves of a book several years later). Exit Mum to casualty, leaving Dad cleaning up....

Children and pets make for an interesting mix.

No Junggar hamsters in this house! Apparently someone beat us to it and took all 5. I am suspicious that he wanted them all as pets given they would not all be able to be kept together. I hope he doesn't have a hungry reptile :shock:

Still, at least I didn't tell the boys so they weren't upset; only OH and I!