sparkysmum

keeping reptiles

Hi folks

I know there are a couple of reptile keepers in the forum so I would be pleased to have your opinion. My daughter has always wanted some sort of reptile, and she is currently immersed in thoughts of the joys of snake keeping 8) However I have various reservations. 1) am never really comfortable about keeping caged animals and it always seems to me that vivariums are pretty tiny. so any thoughts about this would be welcome.

2) general husbandry. Just what is involved in looking after reptiles :?: Thinking here about live food :shock:

3) Anything you would particularly advise for a total novice.

I would love a tortoise but not Hazie :(

Hope I'm not asking too much of you.

Thanks as always. Axx

We can't say anything meaningful about snakes as we have never kept them, but always had the impression that they aren't very "engaging" as a pet.

We had a bearded dragon, they are easy to look after, are easy to handle as they grow to a reasonable size and are quite friendly. They don't tend to hide away from sight like some reptiles do. Some friends currently have geckos, which seem quite similar in character. We also have a (rescue) tortoise - they are the ultimate low maintenance pet. Unfortunately, though, very expensive to buy in this country now.

As for the live food, with beardies, it would just be crickets, etc, which are quite easy to keep and use. You can get special keeper boxes which have dark tubes in which they hide in - you just shake the tube into the vivarium.

We have a four year old corn snake and he is very easy to look after. He gets cleaned out once a week and fed once a week . We buy frozen mice that U keep in the freezer and just defrost them as needed, He is very easy to handle but I do have to make sure the vivarium doors are locked as he will escape at any oppurtunity. As pets go he isn't the most interactive, I bought him for my OH who had always wanted a snake. If you do fecide to go for a snake corn snakes are a good beginners snake, we got him when he was tiny so he was very easy to handle but very quick.Hope this helps